Patio vs french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soon to be having a breakfast room built with doors to the garden.

can't make my mind up whther to have patio sliding doors or french doors.

Previously french doors have the disadvantage of you can't just open them a bit like you can a sliding door.

I suppose sliding/folding doors might be an option but they are expensive.

Are patio doors still less secure generally?

Sponsored Links
you also can't open patio doors fully, in the same way that you can throw open double French Windows.

Patio doors always cover more than 50" of the opening.

IMO they don't look so stylish either.

Having had both, I’d have French doors over patio any time. Our current property renovation now has 4 sets & 2 of these were previously patio doors. They are really nice to look at & use but make sure you fit some form of stay to hold them open; they can make a frightening crash if the wind picks up unexpectedly!

Having had both, I’d have French doors over patio any time. Our current property renovation now has 4 sets & 2 of these were previously patio doors. They are really nice to look at & use but make sure you fit some form of stay to hold them open; they can make a frightening crash if the wind picks up unexpectedly!

Thanks RichardC - RichardK from Norwich here!

What sort of stay do you fit?

Can you have upvc french doors open into the house rather than outwards?

Thanks everyone

Sponsored Links
Why do you want plastic doors :confused:

To match the existing upvc windows..and the planning permission did include fitting upvc ones..but i'm open minded wood would do too - but previously wooden ones have been more prone to draughts

What sort of stay do you fit?

Can you have upvc French doors open into the house rather than outwards?
I've fitted stainless steel cabin hooks either side (4" & 5") on the outer wall & screwed the “D” ring to the outer edge at bottom of the door frame each side; they cost around £4.50 each.

Fitting so the doors open inwards is not usual & I don't think you could do that with a standard profile; it would let the water in & the weather seal would be on the wrong side of the door as well; weather or not you could get some one offs made I don't know, you would have to ask the manufacturer but I suspect it could be even more ££££. The additional problem is you would have allow enough space (furnitur etc.) for them to swing into the room.

Just thinking about it..I rented a new house a year or so ago..and it had french doors on the first floor that opened inwards so it must be possible

I've fitted stainless steel cabin hooks either side (4" & 5") on the outer wall & screwed the “D” ring to the outer edge at bottom of the door frame each side; they cost around £4.50 each.

Fitting so the doors open inwards is not usual & I don't think you could do that with a standard profile; it would let the water in & the weather seal would be on the wrong side of the door as well; weather or not you could get some one offs made I don't know, you would have to ask the manufacturer but I suspect it could be even more ££££. The additional problem is you would have allow enough space (furnitur etc.) for them to swing into the room.

First time poster and I'm hoping this isn't reguarded as hijacking but it does continue the topic fairly legitimately I think.

My elderly (and increasingly infirm) mother had a single, outward opening (due to space limitations) door fitted about three years ago. As we seem to be experiencing an increase in gusty winds - even in warm summer conditions - it has been fairly violently blown open quite a few times. The built in stay was simply a 90 degree restrictor at the top: the screws into the frame had been ripped out a few times and some deformation had occurred to the frame itelf. And, of course, it slammed shut a few times, frightening the life out of her. A further replacement door is not a financially viable option for the forseeable future.

The chap who fixed this, replacing the existing stay with a similar one, also suggested that a cabin hook was the only real option to hold the door at a fixed position. However, she would prefer some form of multi-position locking option; as how far the door should be open is dependant on things like wind direction eg on a pleasant autumn day but with the wrong prevailing wind she might only want it ajar whereas on a hot summer's day she might want it thrown open all the way.

I can only think that a loooong cabin hook (around a metre) with 2 or 3 "D" rings, thus mimicking a casement stay, might answer but would be a good deal less than aesthetically pleasing.

At present the door is tethered to the leg of a heavy chair with a piece of string and a wedge prevents its closing. There doesn't appear to be a multi-position, lockable door stay out there - she can't be the only one with this problem, surely? I did find one such online but only for timber doors up to 25mm thick, not a 75mm upvc one. Can anyone suggest a diy solution?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back