Electric cooker connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving my electric cooker about 4 foot from where it is origionally.
At the moment the feed to the cooker is direct to the CCU using 6mm. but behind one of my kitchen units.
I want to run a new length of 6mm cable from CCU vertically and then once under the work surface, horizontally to a cooker connector, so it is accessible behind the cooker.
I know if i run this cable diagonally that it will need protection.
can i run this cable in trunking and then bury it in the wall.
the cable is already protected above the worktop with metal capping.
do all cables in safe zones have to be protected?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
from cooker isolator downwards and then horizontally to cooker connection unit is fine, because there are both in line with accessories, but unless you bury them less then 50mm you will need to provide earthed metallic trunking or protected against penetration from nail screws and the like (capping no good) or RCD protected

Sponsored Links
This circuit will be protected by the RCD at the consumer unit so will this be ok to bury the cable in plastic trunking then plaster over it?

The cable from the switch to worktop is already protected with metal capping, this was done by a Electrician a few years ago.
Below the worktop to the cooker connector is where the plastic trunking will be used and then skimmed over, if this is permissable.
thanks again for your input
regards

Yes what your plan is sound.
Even if half of the circuit is covered in *earthed metal and half isn`t then the whole circuit still needs RCD protection,which you have.

* metal capping does`nt offer good protection from nails,so in my eyes fails on this need.

If the horizontal run of the cable is behind cabinets and/or under the worktop could you not save effort and run it on the surface?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back