floor levels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is really a speculative post.

Our kitchen used to be two rooms. Part of the room is concrete floor, the other half is wooden floorboards. The floorboards are slightly higher than the concrete, about 3mm, not much but enough to look ugly with any type of sheet floorcovering (lino, carpet)

It also makes tiling the floor impossible.

I have read posts about self-levelling compound, plyboarding over, etc, but I dont fancy a step up into the kitchen.

Would an alternative option be to take up the floorboards, take the joists out, and fill the void with rubble etc, and concrete it to level? What sort of problems would we come across? The void has a concrete base anyway and is about 30 inches from the floor level.

I know there is a sleeper wall between this void and the rest of the house, so this would need infilling before work started. Theres also a gas pipe down there, and heating pipes. Under the sub-concrete is our water main, which emerges from the concrete floor at the other side of the room.

Sponsored Links
you could see if original floor is 21mm if so renew floor with 18mm fast span flooring (8ft x 4ft t&g chipboards.) depends on area do not be tempted to use ardits etc not for 3mm.

the only other option would be to use a latex floor leveler and feather it out not the best solution but would loose the small difference

Is 3mm (the height of that number 3 on my screen) actually a step up? Wont this be hidden by a threshold strip?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back