Sleeping platform

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I think I need some advice before I go ahead with this idea.

I have a room that is 2.5m by 2.75m and 3.3m high, 2 external walls and 2 internal stud walls. I want to build a floating sleeping platform from one wall to the opposite across the 2.5m span. This would be from the internal wall above the door to the external wall opposite and would be 1.5m wide.

My idea was to screw a piece of 2x4 to the opposite walls and either hang or screw 5 pieces of 2x4 to them (I understand that there may necessarily be an order that I do this in). One long span would be against the second internal wall and would also be screwed to it where possible.

Also, I want to include a "hatch" for access. So one of the spans is going to be only 1.85m long and is supported by a cross brace of 2x4 (again either screwed or hung), just like a loft hatch.

The whole thing would be floored with chipboard.

My questions are,

1. is 5 bits of 2x4, that are 2.5m long, enough to support board, 2 people and a mattress?

2. Will the internal wall support it (if the platform is screwed into the studs)?

3. is there any benefit to hanging rather than screwing? Is there any other way of fixing things to the wall?

Any advice would be really welcome. I think it would work as I imagine, but it is a lot of work to find out it won't support me in the middle of the night :)

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
am i right in assuming you have 3 walls and an open edge!!!!

use all par/planed timber

if so you screw battons off 2x1"to the 3 walls the under edge where you want the platform bottom edge to be

use 6x1" for the open edge
2 bits of 2x2" one each end around 16 inches long screwed affixed to the wall on the line you want the front edge off the 6x1" to sit and at the correct height[bottom level to the wall battons]

screw the 6x1" into the back off 2x2"

work out where the ladder will go affix 2 further 16"uprights each side off the ladder space
install further upright supports to keep the spacings along the length less than 24"

affix a 4" top rail at the top of the uprights with a central rail inbetween

affix a 2x1" batton to the inside of the 6x1" this should line up with the ones on the walls

make the slats from 4x1" spaced between 2.5-3" appart

screw a bit off 2x1" centraly underneath to all the slats

if your matress is narrower than the shelve cut a length of ply/mdf to take up the space between the matress and the side

i suggest you size up the matress first before you finalise the width

and buy your wood from a wood yard as you can get 3m lengths of 4x1" so less waste when stuck with 2.4m lengths fot the slats

Thanks!

This involves even less wood than I planned. I guess all slatted beds are just planks balancing on 2 thin beams.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

This involves even less wood than I planned. I guess all slatted beds are just planks balancing on 2 thin beams.

Thanks again

as long as all 4 corners are next to a wall its easy!!
if not you just extend the 2x2" to the floor as a leg

if your constructing a ladder rather than buying just use 4x1" par as small rungs can hurt bare feet ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back