Load bearing walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bungalow which i'm hoping to convert (see my other threads). It has brick internal walls on the ground floor that are used to support the ceiling joists (2x4" across 3-4m spans at 400mm spacings i think). Would these walls be capable of greater loads (i.e. floors, when using larger joists), how would i find out? I will at some point get a structural engineer to visit but for the time being i'm just trying to work out the basics of what needs doing, whether i need big steels or only small ones etc etc. Do i need to dig a hole in my concrete floor to see what these walls are supported on?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Chances are the actual masonry can support the extra load, unless you have small piers or poor quality blockwork that crumbles in your hand..
Foundations may need to be assessed but its alot down to the amount of load your increasing on the wall..
All the questions you are asking will be covered when you SE comes to visit, and yes they may want trail holes dug at some point.. or they may not..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back