Fitting last short window bead...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fitted a new UPVC window which was the hard bit and thought putting the beads in would be the easy bit, I was wrong!

The longer beads have gone in a doddle. Its the top smaller pane which is causing the grief. The problem is that the beads are very short, the longest being about 250mm so don't flex much. I have tried all sorts of ways to get it in and 3 go in easy but the last because of the size is being troublesome. Any Ideas how I can get this last bead in?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Have you tried putting the shorter gaskets in first then the longer ones.

neds,
If you do it as alastair says, putting the two mitred ends in together and then give the centre a good thump it should go in.

sounds like he's trying to put one of the longest ones in last (as you would) but it's only 250mm. that's a seriously small window.
can you take off a mm or 2 with a saw or file?

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys for the tips. I had actually left the longest ones to last but it is a small window, and this is for hung part of the window. I Know its small but they must be able to go in as the beads were in place however unglazed at the time. Bit baffling! I may have to cut the shortest one in half and try to conceal it somehow, just seems cowboyish...

I may have to cut the shortest one in half and try to conceal it somehow, just seems cowboyish...

No dont neds it will go in, be patient, take a couple of mm off if you have to, but as you said they were in before!!!!.

i was thinking of wooden beads, but upvc - maybe they rotate in from outside / inside rather than putting them against the glass first?

Trim a mm or two of one end and try again, it will be much easier to disguise a fanni gap mitre than a join mid bead.
A rubber mallet might help.

sometimes they have to go back in the exact same positions they came out off.

i have been caught out this way before :rolleyes:

Cheers. Will try trimming a mm or two tomorrow. If it was a bit longer I reckon I could bend it to fit it in Just worried that these shorter ones will snap if I bend it much more!

I will persevere! :D

as has been said try swapping it with the opposite one, then get one end clicked in (i usually use the rubber butt of my hammer) a bit in from the end of the frame, then slide it up tight to the mitre and then knock it in along it's length.

Tried various combinations but still no go. Got fed up so lopped a couple of mm off the mitred end and also the angled part of the mitre gave me just enough leverage to snap it it. Some trusty white frame sealant later and no one is the wiser! Cheers guys. :D

Tip for the future: Cut a small V out of the back of the bead (just the thin bit that sits in the drainage channel) you'll then be able to bend it in easily.

It would've dropped in anyway, if you'd rolled it in - placed it on top of the opening, angled slightly back, then tapped both mitres down first. It's much easier than trying to bend the small ones.

Rob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back