No insulation in porch (above w/c and hall)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a house built in 2002 which has a single-storey integral porch area with a pitched roof. Below this roof is the downstairs w/c and part of the hallway. For some time I have noticed the w/c is quite cold even though the radiator is on full.

I took out the extractor fan which vents into the roof space and found that there was no insulation! Is this normal and could this be the main cause of the cold w/c or is the extractor fan also to blame.

I have emailed the builder to ask but wanted a second opinion :)

Many thanks
Ian

Sponsored Links
no it is not normal, there should be 270mm fibreglass insulation up there.

porch?

is the fan ducted to the outside?

Thanks for this I thought as much!

Here it is:
View media item 8370
No the fan isn't ducted either... I found a similar problem in the loft (ensuite shower so steam!) and the builder came back to rectify it - unfortunately it did cause more problems in the first place because the vent-tile wasn't fitted correctly so we had a leak! Just up from the porch you will see the vent tile for the ensuite.

Cheers
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back