How to get garden looking healthy (With Pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After getting most of the house sorted i shall be looking at starting the rear garden hopefully in the summer. Last year i was putting evergreen down and the grass did look greener, thicker and over time weed free after i picked them all out. Now the colour has gone with small browny patches, patches of no grass and kind of clumps of grass that all needs sorting out.

DSC00095.jpg

This is the general look of the garden. Not very green and patchy looking.

DSC00096.jpg

To one side of the garden it is below the normal level of the grass as it slightly slopes. Here tho the grass grows thicker and quicker so when mowing cuts into the soil and makes a big mess to the garden.

DSC00097.jpg

Many clumps in the grass again when mowing seem to hack at the clumps leaving a chunk of soil as the clump has been cut straight off leaving the roots/soil that was underneath.

The question is how to go about sorting all this to a minimun cost to get it looking fresh and healthy. I was thinking of getting rid and levelling it off with freshly laid turf or can this be saved using grass seed and just level off the bit above in pic. How do a get rid of the clumps, and generally get it looking greener and thicker.

Thanks in advance

[/img]

Sponsored Links
What you could do to start with is give it a good tight cut, grass is tuff stuff so will take almost anything. What type of mower do you have?

Get a metal leak rake, a good quality one as you will break a cheap one, and rake the whole lawn heavily so to scratch out that thatch that will be in the lawn. Another good idea is to walk around the lawn with a garden fork and prod it up to 3 - 4 inches deep into the lawn, this will help put air into the soil. Get some grass seed like a creeping fescue, and scatter all over the lawn, this is over seeding, scratch this in a bit as grass seed id great bird food.

Give this few weeks bit don't walk on the lawn for a few weeks once you see the the new seed germinating as this is quite soft and will damage easily.

Your best not to use the Evergreen fertilizer as it is only a quick fix and doesn't really do any good. Get a well balanced lawn fertilizer, granular, and lightly feed.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back