Cutting long grass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all.

If you had 30 acres of what used to be grazing land, but has been left to grow quite long, what would you advise would be the best to cut it with, not only for a one off, but perhaps 3-5 times a years.

Usually I would have bought a ride on with a mulching deck, but there are a lot of rocks around the place with i think would continually be htting the cutters, and are high enough for a standard ride on not to be able to clear.

Any ideas????

Budget about £5k, no more than £7k.

Sponsored Links
hello all.

If you had 30 acres of what used to be grazing land, but has been left to grow quite long, what would you advise would be the best to cut it with, not only for a one off, but perhaps 3-5 times a years.

Usually I would have bought a ride on with a mulching deck, but there are a lot of rocks around the place with i think would continually be htting the cutters, and are high enough for a standard ride on not to be able to clear.

Any ideas????

Budget about £5k, no more than £7k.

Flail attachment behind a tractor?

Wotan

for 7K, I'll come and mow it with a push mower 3 times a year...
:D

something with a flex line to start with, then get all the rocks out of it..

Sponsored Links
grillo do a ride on scrub cutter, or a walk behind billy goat outback. Most local groundcare outlets will advice or give demos on your land as well.

Scythe1.jpg

not just for the grim reaper you know.. :evil:

Hmm. A new scythe blade plus snaith (handle) will cost around £80 each. Assume one acre per day per person, at minimum wage, (and assume the scythers have the requisite skills): it soon adds up to quite a lot of money.

Why not manage it as a wild area?

And you WILL get a grant for managing it as a wildlife habitat.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think an acre is the area that a man with a horse and plough can be expected to plough in one day. I'm not sure you could scythe an acre in one day, well I couldn't anyway, I reckon I'd be pusing it with a tractor.

Craig,
Where I live you can get grazing land cut for free by farmers who will cut it to hay. They get to keep all the hay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back