Cladding Log Cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Last year I built a log cabin as a garden office from one of these kits that is all the rage.

It has 45mm thick wooden walls, and as 3 sides of it are not seen due to its location, I plan to insulate the outside of it with 50mm polystyrene on those 3 sides, and then clad over that with some more wood.

B and Q had an offer on decking boards at a very good price, 2.4m x 120mm x 20mm thick, so I had 130 delivered today.

I plan to put 3 x 50mm battons side to side (top middle and bottom) onto the existing outside walls, and then fit the PS sheets inbetween.

Then I will sandwich the PS in place using the decking bords, I will cut them to length so they are 50mm or so clear of the ground, and screw them to the battons.

My question is this:

Should I leave a gap between each upright deck board to allow for expansion / contraction?

If so how much? I am thinking perhaps 3mm, and can I fill the gap with silicon afterwards?

I am also looking to increase the soundproof properties of the building as my son wants to have a go at drumming (god help us).

Any advice from anybody who has done anything similar would be appreciated.

The cabin itself is very sturdy and holds the heat well. I have small electric heater which I occasionally use in the winter.

My only regret in hindsight is not insulating under the floor. I was wondering whether to get a load of those cans of polyurethane expanding foam and pumping the cavity under the floor (the bearers sit on a solid concrete base) full of the foam. Any opinions on that also??

Thanks

Johnny

Sponsored Links
Only comment is on pumping the underside with foam - be careful you don't stop airflow underneath the building otherwise damp may be an issue. They sit on bearers for a reason

You could always lay a thick commercial carpet/rubber style flooring for insulation

Inside personally I would have (and did) use tongue and groove cladding on the walls and on the ceiling with insulation between. Gives nice scandinavian type sauna finish!

With regard to the floor - I put 50mm kingspan down and boarded over this as a floating floor before laying carpet. Given that I have to step over a door threshold anyway, it made it less of a trip hazard and the loss of height to the building isn't noticable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back