garden wall advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am in the process of building a garden wall and have read so many conflicting opinions that i would be extremely grateful if anybody could clarify the following :-

there is an existing wall at the moment that takes the topsoil load weight from a small rockery area.
my intention is to build a new wall directly in front of the existing wall (basically to hide the existing)
the proposed new wall will be 600mm (2ft) high and consist of 2 skins (block at the rear and brick on show, this is purely to keep the cost down)
the length is approximately 13metres.
how deep and wide do i need to dig a footing for such a wall
do i need to put any hardcore down before concrete and if so what thickness.
how much (as in sq metre) and of what strength of concrete would i need and again what thickness.
im not entirely sure if i need to make allowances for drainage (i have read plastic pipes could be staggered approx 600mm apart but am not convinced i need that for such a small wall)
many thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Can't you just copy the existing walls foundations - presuming that there have been no probelms with it?

No need for drainage holes if the old wall is remaining - not much is going to get through 13" of wall at 600mm high

Why not just tie in the facing brick to the existing wall and forget the 2nd block skin? Use frame ties or similar. Founds depend on the type of ground you have but, as said, to copy existing (presuming no probs) would be a good start.

Sponsored Links
thanks to all for the quick response regarding my garden wall project.
just to give you all a better idea the existing wall compromises of 2" thick paving slabs that have been broken and placed on top of each other to give a wall effect, like the type you'd see in the countryside to segregate fields (sorry i dont know the correct name for this type of wall :( )
there are little/no real footings as it is only approximately 14" high and no mortar has been used.

i hope this has helped and would be extremely grateful if anybody could answer the information i requested on my earlier thread

Dig the footings 150mm wider than the wall, i.e. a 225mm wide retaining wall will need a 525mm wide footing.

No hard core with the concrete but you do need to dig down to firm (non-vegetative) virgin earth.

The concrete will need to be about 150mm thick and be mixed at six parts ballast (sand & gravel mixed) to one cement, with enough water to encourage mixing process.

*We would use square r.w.p. or down-pipe as this section sits well with metric bricks. These would be used every fifth brick or so.

* reference to drain or weep holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back