Knocking 2 houses into 1 help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently in the throws of buying the attached semi-d cottage so that we can hopefully knock them tastefully into one to fit the whole step family together. My question is regarding planning permission really, would there be a problem with this? Would it be more cost effective regarding council tax etc? Has anyone done similar?

Thanks,

Martin.
Great site btw.

Sponsored Links
a friend of mine did similar a few years ago once you connect the services together one supply for gas electric and water and remove one of the kitchens the council should recognise the propertys as a single dwelling check though with a call to your local planning department

There is a very similar post on this forum. Just over one year ago IIRC

Planning issues will depend on the local policy - many councils want more houses not less.

Council tax is a separate issue, and it will be assessed on the finished property

yes we did this, planning no prob. coucil tax went up 1 band. i am in cheshire.we started with a end terrace of a row of 3 then bought next door and nocked through. we have since bought the other end 1. but that is still classed as a seperate house.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys, this has eased my mind a bit. we've basically now got 2 1897 built cottages which I'm only putting 2 door ways through plus the whole kitchen. This will deem it fit for purpose and also can be split if required in the future. The big thing for me is that I've aquired a double building plot next to the new house too!!

Martin

Any chance for some photos... we tried a few years back our council told us politely to go and fish. You must have a good council .. lucky you..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back