Washing Machine Leaking from the Drum?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My washing machine (BEKO WMA 642W - aprrox 18 months old) developed a leak this evening. I had a look to see if I could spot something obvious, and the water seems to be coming out of the drum housing itself. There's a few holes located up and right of where the belt sits at the edge of the drum housing, and when the washer moves in one direction water squirts out. I am happy to replace seals, but this looks like it requires the machine pretty much stripped down to get to it. (I hope you can understand what I mean. I can probably add a photo of the leaking spot if my description isn't clear)

Can anyone tell me if this problem can be easily (and cheaply) repaired, or should I start looking for a new machine?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Sponsored Links
not sure why there would be holes
me thinks there must be something in there to cause this
cost of repair depends on where the leak is
a photo will obviously help
will be worth taking the sump hoses off and investigating for 'bits' and the cause discovered before repair

you can do a temporary fix but depends on the location !!

Thanks for taking time out to reply.

I initially though the hole was a fixing hole and supposed to be there, however it seems I was very wrong. There is a hole approx 1/2" square on the corner of one of the 6 'spokes' radiating from the centre of the back of the drum. I am not sure how this happened, and can't see signs of the missing piece, but I'll look closer before any repair if a repair is possible.

I tried to take a few pics. One shows the location of the hole - at the spot marked with a red X, and one shows a close up of the hole.

Could this be repaired?

it looks to be above the water line so it may be possible to repair if not too big, but any repair would only be temporary.

Most holes like that are caused by something being left in the pockets (coins, nails etc, have even seen a bra wire do this) and getting between the inner and outer drum.

Sponsored Links
exactly as leccy says
to do a temp fix which will last as long as the effort you put into into it
i would use the no more nails stuff in a black tube from B & Q , liberally cover the hole . let it set
cut a larger patch from a rubber glove and glue it over the patch and press on with a bit more glue.
if as leccy says its above the water level and there is not much water pressure there it will last quite a time.
Beko is not one of my personal favourites so it might possibly last the life of the PCB or timer

Thanks for the replies.

The hole certainly is above the water line as the machine sits happily leak free till it starts to turn, so I will attempt a repair as described.

If whatever caused this is still in between the inner and outer drum, then I am guessing it's pretty much stuck there and this could easily happen again?

As an update....

Using a combination of no more nails, a rubber glove, and a coating of araldite the leak appears to have been plugged with the first wash completing with no puddles on the floor :)

Thanks again for teh advice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back