DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

cream of tarta

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrplastering

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:24 pm Reply with quote

hi all, i was on a site today and got talking to one of the other plasterers hes one of the old timers well served in the trade, he told me that if you put a pinch of cream of tarta in with your guage then the plaster will stay live for so much longer thus you can spread soooo much more,
1. is this true
2. if so does it have any negative effects on the quality of the finish
3.again if this does work where will i get this cream of tarta from

what do we think guys
thanks JRP
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote

I've never heard of that one before JR. I Googled "cream of tartar", and it said it's,, "Potassium Hydrogen Tartrate",,,, an acid salt. That's it from me. icon_confused.gif

Ohh,,, Hang on a minute,,,
Mrs RC tells me that "tartar sauce" is great with fish. icon_lol.gif
 Alert Moderators
jrplastering

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote

haha well thanks anyway RC i was counting on you to know haha
 Alert Moderators
roughcaster

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Hi JR,,,
I Googled "Cream of Tartar" again, and found one or two references of cream of tartar being used in plaster,, go have a look. One plastering site had a similar question, and one reply was,,,, "salt will accelerate the plaster set,,,, cream of tartar will retard it",, but as i said earlier, i have never tried either of these methods. icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
external

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:13 pm Reply with quote

cream of what,salad dressing wont help your plastering mate(but i've heard an onion salad can slow a set)
 Alert Moderators
jrplastering

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote

thanks RC and external my plastering dnt need any help thanks i herd something at work that took my interest and i just wanted to know weather it was true or not
 Alert Moderators
trowelmonkey1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote

i've heard exactly the same jr, from a different source, never been brave enough to stick a sauce into my finish, happily stick it all over my fish though!!
 Alert Moderators
stevethespreader

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:53 am Reply with quote

trowelmonkey1 wrote:
never been brave enough to stick a sauce into my finish, happily stick it all over my fish though!!
ah but youve been brave enough to put board adhesive in as a retarder though icon_surprised.gif
 Alert Moderators
trowelmonkey1

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote

blimey you've a good memory steve icon_biggrin.gif that advice was from a good source icon_wink.gif

yes i was brave enough, just the thought of a fish sauce seems a step too far! plus i'm getting quicker these days so less need to worry about it icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
stevethespreader

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote

trowelmonkey1 wrote:
blimey you've a good memory steve icon_biggrin.gif that advice was from a good source icon_wink.gif

yes i was brave enough, just the thought of a fish sauce seems a step too far! plus i'm getting quicker these days so less need to worry about it icon_wink.gif
yes i keep meaning to try the board adhesive theres never none onsite though, i googled the cream of tartar thing and apparently some spread was swearing by it half a tub for 3 bags i think he said i cant see me trying that though but if i come across some board adhesive i will give it a go just to see if our man is right or not
 Alert Moderators
spreadandlay

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 6:36 pm Reply with quote

hi, i had an old timer tell me a pinch of baking powder delayed the chemical reaction, never tried it, should have a couple of times!!
 Alert Moderators
stevethespreader

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:09 pm Reply with quote

spreadandlay wrote:
hi, i had an old timer tell me a pinch of baking powder delayed the chemical reaction, never tried it, should have a couple of times!!
yes theres a few storys going about bicarbinate of soda or baking soda was something i was told ages ago i think thats what it was not sure now theres so many stories im sure someone will post another

Last edited by stevethespreader on Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total
 Alert Moderators
external

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote

jr mate if you want to slow a set just add a good dollop of pva to your mix,don't matter if its skim,backing ,dabbing or render,and you can take that from a time served pro ,honest i asked him before i posted,dabbin addy will slow your set to just over an hour but tends to tear.
 Alert Moderators
spreadandlay

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:14 pm Reply with quote

Hi again, i would have thought board adhesive would have been like rapid set! however i know that you lot know your stuff so i wont even question it! the pva thing i am probably more likely to trust just because pva and skim go together like fish and tartare.
 Alert Moderators
Micilin

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:23 am Reply with quote

external wrote:
jr mate if you want to slow a set just add a good dollop of pva to your mix,don't matter if its skim,backing ,dabbing or render,and you can take that from a time served pro ,honest i asked him before i posted,dabbin addy will slow your set to just over an hour but tends to tear.

The adhesive won't make it tear, but too much will make it greasy . I use it if I get a quick pallet , or in very hot weather. Hand ful or two does it, you try the first set and alter it after that.

Pva will also work, but it's a tad expensive compared to a handful or two of board adhesive!

Cream of Tartar is a very old one, but I have never used it (or at least don't remember).

The idea is not really to get bigger sets on with normal gear, (finish allows you enough time to get a decent guage on) but to slow down a batch of gear that has got a quick set time, or slow it down in warm weather.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Plastering and Rendering All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: