Easily replacing cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a telephone cable (consumer side of master box). I think the old cable has broken strands inside it, but the outer insulation is fine. The cable takes a slightly tricky route through stud wall. What I'd like to do is securely fasten new cable to the end of the old cable, and literally pull it through, so it follows the original cabling route.

What is the best way to secure the new cable to the end of the old cable, so it does not come off half way through the wall? Whatever method is used, it could not be larger diameter than the cable itself (because I do not know whether the holes the cable has to pass through are much bigger in diameter than the cable itself).

Thanks in advance

Ed

Sponsored Links
I would advise you to test if there are actually broken strands in the cable before going to the trouble of replacing it

Thanks Martin. My tests suggest that there definitely are.

I think the cable got stretched to breaking point when we moved the position of the socket a little too far... But the outer insulation looks to be in tact - if I pull the cable, the other end moves freely.

Sponsored Links
Use the old to pull through something strong like a high strength fishing line.
This is narrow in diameter and strong. Using Tallow on the free end to help it glide through
Once this is through attach your new cable at the other end. Use some Tallow again on the new cable as you drag it through ( carefully).

Job done.

And gentle pulls not hard tugs, if it gets stuck feed back try again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back