CH won't start (Worcester 28i RSF combi)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a problem with CH on my Worcester 28i RSF combi (an old-ish model, discontinued 2005). DHW is fine.

We have just moved into the house, I drained the system to move and add rads, then filled with flush stuff, and bled rads. I can't get the CH to come on. It won't kick off the ignition process.

I bypassed the (manual) timer and room stat as per the installation instructions to take that out of the equation. After a DHW cycle the pump has a 10-sec overrun, I took the cap off and I can see it running so presumably it's not that. Ignition sequence is fine for DHW, but whatever triggers CH demand isn't working. Any ideas? I ahev been through the troubleshooting guides and flowcharts in the installation guide but to no avail.

NB I just found the Worcester 24i RSF on your 'dangerous boilers' FAQ. This is the 'big brother' of this, should I be concerned?

thanks

Dan

Sponsored Links
i don't know how experienced or able you are but if you have CORRECTLY bypassed or linked out the stat or /and timer i think you may have a troublesome pcb!

If its the i and not the jnr the wiring isn't that easy, did you put links in as if the boiler was new again, ie before and stats / clocks were fitted? If you've done it right it must be the pcb in my opinion. Ring WB technical helpline maybe they are open till 8pm.

The most common problem with heating on these is the temperature control spindle shearing...open up the back and see if the board pot is rotating.

Whoever designed that knob is going to get a kick in the nuts from me. Many thanks gasguru :)

WB helpline? Yeah right. When we moved in a couple of weeks back I had rearranged some electrics in the kitchen (including the boiler spur). The boiler stopped working, and I was convinced I had done something bad. I pulled everything apart and checked the flame sense electrode and harness etc etc. So I called the WB helpline, they were 100% deffo sure it was the PCB.

So I bought a new one (130 quid), and fitted it, and that made sod all difference. After a lot more thinking I twigged it, turns out that the (Corgi) guy who fitted it originally had wired up both the spur and the boiler in reverse polarity, so it worked OK. I moved and wired up the spur correctly, and the flame rectification failed. The fitter was obviously Gas Safe but not Electrically Aware :rolleyes:

I found the spindle stuck in the old PCB (might have snapped it off myself when changing the PCB over).

Does anyone need a PCB for a Worcester 28i RSF? £30 and it's yours.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back