Shower replacement Gainsborough 8.5kw Replacement Shower Eng

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My shower stopped producing hot water when the water pressure dropped below 1 bar. I have since increased the water pressure to 2 bar. (As well as the boiler wouldnt work so not hot water from rads and taps, now it is all fine).

My shower though still produces cold water. I have a Gainsborough 8.5 SCL. I am happy enough with it so dont really wanna replace it.

Any ideas how I can hot water from it again ?

If not I have bought another engine, like for like replcacement. I am not an electrician or plumber but could I quite easily replace them ?
Like I say there are like for like reaplcements.

Thanks very much
Christian

Sponsored Links
My shower stopped producing hot water when the water pressure dropped below 1 bar. I have since increased the water pressure to 2 bar. (As well as the boiler wouldnt work so not hot water from rads and taps, now it is all fine).

if your talking about the pressure gauge on your boiler (combi)
that has no relation to the water pressure to your shower.
your boiler can be 0 and your shower pressure will still be ok.

as you say once these showers fail they need a complete new engine
due to a fault in the unit.

If not I have bought another engine, like for like replcacement. I am not an electrician or plumber but could I quite easily replace them ?

yes you can replace them but need to id the fault why it failed.

if your talking about the pressure gauge on your boiler (combi)
that has no relation to the water pressure to your shower.
your boiler can be 0 and your shower pressure will still be ok.

as you say once these showers fail they need a complete new engine
due to a fault in the unit.

yes you can replace them but need to id the fault why it failed.

Hi

I was told by Gainsborough that is the water pressure drops below 1 bar then a switch inside the shower shuts down the heat element ?
Im sure my shower is in someway connected to my boiler as I had a new glow worm put in 18 months ago in my loft and they guy said he would run the water from it. Not sure why and who am I to question it.

Its a safety switch. A woman told me (Gainsborogh customer service) that I need a new engine but then I called again and spoke to a man and he said you can reset it. I couldnt figure it out, so I have purchased a new engine. £45 was reasonable I thought. Jusr hope I can fit it and it works.

I was told by Gainsborough that is the water pressure drops below 1 bar then a switch inside the shower shuts down the heat element ?
correct.

Im sure my shower is in someway connected to my boiler
not to the boiler itself but to the cold water mains pipe that supplies your boiler aswell as all the other cold taps.
when the boiler gauge drops you still get water from your cold taps so you will still get water supply to the shower.

as I had a new glow worm put in 18 months ago in my loft and they guy said he would run the water from it.
as said the same water supply that supplies the boiler.

Its a safety switch. A woman told me (Gainsborogh customer service) that I need a new engine
correct as they are a sealed unit.

but then I called again and spoke to a man and he said you can reset it. I couldnt figure it out, so I have purchased a new engine. £45 was reasonable I thought. Jusr hope I can fit it and it works.

yes straight foreward to change.
make sure all the valves are fully open when you start the shower after refitting.
showerhead is clean not restricted/blocked.
shower hose is not damaged internal.

or you'll be back in the same position as you are now.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice.

Im not stupid but im not great at DIY.

So obviously I would turn the water and electric off.
Take cover off, take the engine off. But before taking the engine off do I have to disconnet 2 wires and piping ?

Can you tell me what will be going in to the new engine ? Water inlet pipe and two wires ? I just want an idea as dont want to catch the whole street on fire.

Thanks alot.

Can you tell me what will be going in to the new engine ? Water inlet pipe and two wires ? I just want an idea as dont want to catch the whole street on fire.

Thanks alot.

disconnect water supply 3 wires L, E, N.
take unit off
fit new
connect water supply
connect L, E, N.

no should be a thick grey cable that enters the shower
in that cable will be a copper wire to earth, brown or red wire to live, blue or black wire to neutral. depending on age of cable.

they should connect to the brass plate at the top.

So if I unscrew the 3 screws up the top on the brass plate that will release the 3 wires ?

Thanks very much

I will give it a go and see what happens. Is the water inlet easy to remove ?

Im a bit worried about a leak especially with electrics. Is it on the right ? :rolleyes:

Hi again my friend !

When youi wrote : disconnect water supply 3 wires L, E, N

Is L,E,N the order in which they are in the shower ?

Thanks !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back