DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Fuel prices........what can we do??

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
wreckedit

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:37 pm Reply with quote

I look at like this Meg...

Each and every Government in turn start off well but as time goes on they start to build up an enormous pile of shyte and then the private sector workers have to come along and shovel it away. Unfortunately, it never gets cleared before the next government comes along.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
joe-90

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Gordon Brown got us into this mess then cleared off. He should be flogged daily.
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:02 pm Reply with quote

megawatt wrote:
I do hold out (somewhat naive) hope that the right person will come to the fore and undo at least some of the damage.

MW
She`s been and gone icon_mrgreen.gif
 Alert Moderators
ursamajor

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:09 pm Reply with quote

joe-90 wrote:
Gordon Brown got us into this mess then cleared off. He should be flogged daily.

The last few months of his premiership crude oil fell back to $30 a barrel now its pushing $100 a barrel how is it his fault.Rich boy Dave is the problem.
The following user says thank you to ursamajor for this useful post:
ninjacat (10 Jan 2011)
 Alert Moderators
imamartian

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote

The problem is there are a lot of people with a lot of money!! (25 new millionaires on xmas eve for example - and bankers and footie players etc) plus the millions who like to spend money they don't have - i.e. living on credit

So this recession is nothing like anything gone before.... in the old days, most people had virtually nothing.... and people didn't get up to their eyes in debt...

My point is... prices can still go up because there are people with the money to pay. But fewer people, so prices go up again to make their money.. a vicious circle !!
 Alert Moderators
Mickymoody

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:50 am Reply with quote

Half the problem is that Brown wasn't voted in, and neither was Clegg/Cameron, so there is no leadership. In the interim, we had the yes man Blair, but his treasury was run by Brown, hence half the problem again.

However much I hate Thatcher, at least she grabbed the country by the balls, and addressed it. Now they have no idea. Won't raise tuition one day, the next the treble it, Books for charity gone/reinstated (I thought that was a library?), closing civil buildings, building new ones for the Olympics? But due to Thatcher, no engineering, no manufacturing, no jobs, watching football review today, not a lot of English managers, and those that are, are sacked. England is a mess. I vote Joe 90 for President!
The following user says thank you to Mickymoody for this useful post:
Nige F (9 Jan 2011)
 Alert Moderators
Nige F

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote

wreckedit wrote:
I look at like this Meg...

Then give us the next LOTTO numbers Mystic Meg icon_mrgreen.gif
 Alert Moderators
Norcon

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:
But due to Thatcher, no engineering, no manufacturing, no jobs

This is just typical blame the tories mantra.
Manufacturing suffered a streeper decline under nu labour than under thatchers government.
 Alert Moderators
joe-90

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote

ursamajor wrote:
joe-90 wrote:

The last few months of his premiership crude oil fell back to $30 a barrel now its pushing $100 a barrel how is it his fault.Rich boy Dave is the problem.

He let the banks do whatever they wanted. How many Oz banks went bust? Canadian? NZ? none. They were regulated. Why didn't Brown address the problem of debt before it reached a trillion quid? Because he wanted to get re-elected, that's why. The whole problem with democracy is it's nothing more than a popularity contest - so Nu-lab threw a party for 13 years and put it all on the slate. Pathetic. Now the country is bust - he's cleared off on his fat pension. icon_mrgreen.gif
 Alert Moderators
Whitespirit66

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote

joe-90 wrote:
ursamajor wrote:
joe-90 wrote:

He let the banks do whatever they wanted. How many Oz banks went bust? Canadian? NZ? none. They were regulated. Why didn't Brown address the problem of debt before it reached a trillion quid? Because he wanted to get re-elected, that's why. The whole problem with democracy is it's nothing more than a popularity contest - so Nu-lab threw a party for 13 years and put it all on the slate. Pathetic. Now the country is bust - he's cleared off on his fat pension. icon_mrgreen.gif

Yes, and whilst New (washes whiter) Labour was having its 13 year party on tick, the Aussies had a bouyant economy as well. Big difference is, it wasn't just built on debt, and they used the money to pay off their defecit; whilst ours was growing all the time.
 Alert Moderators
libby lou lou

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote

When i was a kid, and had nothing, we used to pinch spuds out of neigbouring gardens, just to eat, is history repeating it's self?
 Alert Moderators
hotrod

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote

Looking forward to the new series Libby next week, seems like you've been away for an eternity. I've missed ya, it'll be good to have ya back icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
Mickymoody

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 am Reply with quote

libby lou lou wrote:
When i was a kid, and had nothing, we used to pinch spuds out of neigbouring gardens, just to eat, is history repeating it's self?

You really stole spuds to eat? In my time it was Apples! Do you origionate from Ireland?

it's self can be amalgamated into itself?
 Alert Moderators
squeaky

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:22 am Reply with quote

It's a amazing how everyone sl*gs off the 4x4 drivers until a bit of snow arrives and then everyone wants their help, pulling cars out of ditches, getting people to hospital etc.

I've recently bought a 4x4 after almost 30 years of sliding around in a x2 wheel drive and I'm sure my customer, who had a burst pipe during the recent snow, was glad that I was able to get to him to repair it.
 Alert Moderators
JamesA

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote

I'd like to see people who genuinely need to be on the road like tradesmen and hauliers not paying the tax on fuel.
I think that's what you should be pushing for.

Frankly though, most people on the road could cut their fuel costs be 20-50% by changing their driving style and not driving like idiots.

The minority of boy-racer van drivers are trading off using a lot more fuel than they need against earning more money from being able to fit more jobs in a day.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: