Building a log store

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
This is the log store I build about two months ago, we had a lot of logs in the carport that needed a better place, I had some wood laying around waiting another project, so I borrowed it for this one
This is the pile of wood that needs to be sorted

DSC_2304 by mcluma, on Flickr

So on with the build

DSC_2290 by mcluma, on Flickr

DSC_2300 by mcluma, on Flickr

The roof is on

DSC_2305 by mcluma, on Flickr

Before we can put it in its place a solid foundation is needed

DSC_2311 by mcluma, on Flickr

Here its in its place, with the sides on, and loaded, what remains to be done is to put some light in it

DSC_2320 by mcluma, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Looks great. I intend to build one just like that when I get a minute.

Did you use a plan or just do it rough? It's difficult to tell from the photos, but did you leave air gaps at the back/side/base?

It has airgaps in the bottom (1" between the slats) , and the featheredge is quite airy

No plans, had the desired measurements, and wanted it to look chuncky to match in with the carport

Sponsored Links
Nice! gives me the push to do my own!

What did you use for the roof?

Thinking of making a log store for around a budget of £150.00

Any ideas guys? Perhaps there's some guides I can download?

Two old pallets, free. A few feet of 4x2 and a sheet of ply for the roof, with a roll of tarred felt isn't going to cost £150.

IMG-20110806-00032.jpg

I know i am bumping an old thread but i have a query as i'm looking at building my own also.

I was hoping someone would've replied to ToolbeltDandy .... surely with the big openings, yeah air circulates & dries out but the flipside is rain will get all over the wood. Ok it wont from above because of the roof but sides, rear, certainly front?

Or does it dry out enough during the summer so the rain you pick up say Sept-Dec doesn't matter? I can't see it myself, surely it's got to get in there & make it wet within the wood?

It's only the outer layer of logs that will get wet, but if you get driving rain, unroll some polythene or tarpaulin or whatever to cover them from the top......when it's sunny or breezy, uncover the logs and they'll continue to dry nicely.
John :)

I found it a lot less work (and a lot cheaper) to keep the wooden crate that our wood burner came in and then asked the sellers if I could have another one if no-one wanted it (for free, of course).
Back home, I stuck one on top of the other and covered the lot in a plastic groundsheet, but left openings on all sides for air to get through.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I made mine from pallets, the wood sits on one at the bottom that is easy to remove if/when it rots. The sides have been made from 2 slatted top parts of the pallets and the roof has been made up from planks cut down to size and butted up to each other. It has all been given a few coats of a decking treatment that I picked up free from the recycling yard so it had cost me nothing :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back