Telephone Junction Box

Sponsored Links
The instructions with the faceplate advise using Cat5e twisted pair cable, can you advise what exactly this is and where I would acquire it?

That is not the best advice. Use telephone cable for the ADSL pair from the filter plate to the socket for the modem / router.

Also should the socket where I am going to connect the modem, be RJ11 or RJ45, as the instruction suggest both

That will depend on the plug supplied on the modem's lead. In almost all cases it is RJ11 ( there is a lot of confusion about the naming of plugs )

Filtered face plates have both sockets " RJ11 " ( for modem ) and " BT431 " ( for the phone ).

http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl_splitters-faceplates.htm

There are other suppliers other than Solwise but Ihave found them to be the best.

Sponsored Links
What is the difference between telephone cable and twisted pair cable and why do you think it is not the best advice to use the latter??

Your advice has been spot on so far so will go with the telephone cable, but was just curoious as to why they proposed it and why you dont agree with them :)

I assume I can use any two of the six wires in the phone cable to connect between the two boxes. Also where there be only two connection options (A & B) on the adsl plate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back