Budget 2007 - grants for pensioners for boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess its related to plumbing and central heating ;) but does anyone here know more about the following:

http://www.ciob.org.uk/news/view/1359

quote:

To play our part, I am offering grants of £300 to £4,000 for pensioners installing insulation and central heating in their homes

Both our parents have standard types of boilers (one has a combi and the other a standard boiler with storage tank) and I wondered how these grants could be used to get these replated with new condensing high efficiency ones ?

Sponsored Links
Don't count on anything, my mums boiler was worn out 15+ year old combi, parts prohibitivly expensive so condemed it. Tried to get a free boiler which she is entitled too but was knocked back as it as still working at a reduced capacity. Then it burst after she had bought a replacement herself so asked if we could get a monetary sum for a replacement boiler but again knocked back.
I know of other people who have got these free systems as they are pensioners but they are absolutly minted but its not means tested. If they haven't got central heating they are entitled to get 5 or 6 rads and a boiler thrown in (sorry installed).

Warm front grant of £300 has been extended. This is available to anyone who is not on any form of benefit. Must either have a non-functional heating system of only a single point of heat eg coal fire to qualify.

Local councils may be able to help but this is usually a 'loan' that has to be repaid in part if you move within 10 years or so.

I am an installer for a warm front registered company. I fit these systems day in and day out. Here's some info:

If you need help paying for heating and insulation improvements in your privately owned or rented home, you, your partner or civil partner may be able to get money from the government's Warm Front grants scheme if, for example, you're receiving income or disability-related benefits.
Who is eligible?
You may get a Warm Front grant if any of the following apply to you:

1. You get one or more of the following benefits:

Working Tax Credit (with an income of less than £15,050 and which must include a disability element)
Child Tax Credit (with an income of less than £15,050)
Attendance Allowance
Disability Living Allowance
Income Support (that must include a disability premium)
Housing Benefit (that must include a disability premium)
Council Tax Benefit (that must include a disability premium)
War Disablement Pension (that must include a mobility supplement or a Constant Attendance Allowance)
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (that must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
2. You have a child under 16 or are pregnant and have a maternity certificate MAT B1 and get any of the following:

Income Support
Council Tax benefit
Housing Benefit
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pension Credit
3. You're aged 60 or over and get any of the following:

Pension Credit
Council Tax Benefit
Housing Benefit
income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
4. You're not getting any benefits

You may be entitled to a Warm Front grant even if you're not yet getting any qualifying benefits. A check will be done to see if you're eligible for benefits and so a Warm Front grant.
Income Support factsheet
Council Tax Benefit factsheet
Pension Credit factsheet
How much do you get?
£2,700 or up to £4,000 if your home needs oil central heating.
How it works
A Warm Front appointed engineer will complete a technical survey of the work needed for the existing heating system in your property.

If for example your property needs a replacement boiler, work will be carried out within six to eight months of the technical survey.

You won't have to pay anything so long as the work doesn't cost more than the grant.

In some cases you might have to pay towards the work but wherever possible, the scheme will try to cover these costs.
What you can use it for
The Warm Front grant provides insulation and heating improvements depending on your needs and the property you live in. The package includes:

Insulation

loft insulation
draught proofing
cavity wall insulation
hot water tank insulation
Heating systems

gas room heaters with thermostat controls
gas, electric or oil central heating
converting a solid fuel open fire to a modern glass fronted fire
timer controls for electric space and water heaters
Other measures

energy advice
two low energy light bulbs

HTH Sam

Sponsored Links
The warm front grant I mentioned is different from what Sam is refering to. His indeed is a scheme to get a complete boiler change or heating system fitted if you are on some sort of benefit, my literature states up to £2700.

The one I refer to is called the Warm Front heating rebate scheme and is for only £300.

You must

1 own your own home or rent privately

2 without a heating system or yours has broken down

3 be 60 or over

4 not be in receipt of any benefits

Hi,

Not aware of the scheme you mentioned above. What does the £300 pay for, repairs?

I know most of the 'repairs' we go to normally end up being 'replacement boilers' for obvious reasons.

Cheers, Sam

This scheme is just for people who are not receiving any benefits and over 60. It is limited to £300 and this is issued as a voucher to the householder, who then gives this to the registered installer who then sends this in to warm front and gets £250 for it! £50 admin charge!

It is towards a new boiler.

thanks guys

I thought my hopes where going to be dashed as I had hoped that this scheme would incourage people to have standard boilers to get them replaced with high energy efficient ones. I think the maths currently show that the savings in fuel bills after getting a condensing boiler replaced are not really gained back compared with the installation costs (or not in the short term anyway).

we applied for a grant as i get working tax credits with the Disability part and whilst we was entitled to Cavity instalation and a jacket for the hot water tank, the old system boiler what just about works, not to forget the old lead tank coming through the loft will not qualify whilst its still working, but in a away i am glad as the stories i have heard about the condensing boilers being so unreliable and after 4/5 years will need changing again, even a gas installer said in Blackpool that they are no good compared to the Combis :?:

There's nothing like timely, educated, useful advice.

And this is nothing like it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back