Worst decision ever!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Does anyone have a solution to moss and dirt on a sparred gable end wall? Being west-facing it obviously gets all the rain. (Not that we get that much in Wales!!) ;)

It was only done 4 -5 years ago, but was quite dirty within 2, and the last couple of years have seen moss starting to grow.

I have tried a pressure washer which cleared the dirt but it took no time to come back and if I keep doing it I will end up with bare patches where the spar falls off. Moss killer does seem to kill the moss but trying to clear the dead stuff off with a stiff brush also leads to the spar dropping.

I wish I'd had it rendered smooth now! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If you have a pressure washer with a detergent intake, get a can of Jeys fluid, and spray that on, the smell is quite pleasant, it's a very strong disinfectant, suppose to inhibit the growth of weeds etc on block paving.

Wotan

Ive read that moss doesnt like copper and fixing a strip to the ridge on a roof would stop it growing. Maybe you could find something like a wire to tack to the top of the wall to create a similar solution.

Sponsored Links
Ive read that moss doesnt like copper and fixing a strip to the ridge on a roof would stop it growing. Maybe you could find something like a wire to tack to the top of the wall to create a similar solution.

Nice one meadowhog!

Had never heard of this, so just had a look at a couple of sites which claim it works well, and is an organic way to kill moss without the risk of hazardous chemicals entering the drainage system. Apparently the rainwater causes a natural chemical reaction with the copper, which stops the moss from growing.
It is supposed to work best after existing moss has been killed, so having used the Jeyes this week, (hoping it works!) the timing of your post couldn't have been better.
You can get copper tape, which I think I will stick to the uPVC verge covers (seems to be the source), and fingers crossed, it will be the end of the problem.

Thanks for the tip! :D

Sorry - don't know really anything about this...and I'm all for the environmentally friendly solution...

but when I read this I thought that copper might cause even worse problems - thinking verdigris and streaks down the wall

I could be completely wrong...but thought it would be worth thinking about/looking into before fixing some up...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back