Moss killer for brick paving

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I have an area of those wavy-edged concrete paving bricks, laid on sand on stone scalpings. The bricks have a bevelled edge which means there is a groove between them. The area is mostly shaded and thick moss grows in the grooves and fills them, and grows above the surface of the bricks. Some of it will hoe off when it is very thick. I don't like brushing, scraping or hosing it out as this washes away the sand from the joints. I live on the coast so the air and rain are mostly clean and unpolluted.

Do we know a good moss-killer I can use, preferably only once a year?

Sponsored Links
Haven't found it locally, I'm told it's been withdrawn, could that be right? Couldn't find it on web search, is that spelling correct?

Ta so far...

Sponsored Links
I would recommend that you use a pressure washer.

I know you have concerns about washing the sand out but my reasoning is this......

Firstly, i believe it would be cheaper and greener to simply buy a couple of bags of silver sand to sweep back in than it would be to buy a moss-killing poison which may or may not give good results.

Secondly, pressure washed brick paving looks great and its all done in a day. Compare that to the sight of dying moss hanging around until its dead enough to sweep up.

jays fluid and a stiff broom, with elbow grease. Cheap and easy and a lot less mess than a pressure washer, which never gets it all off anyway.

Will Jeyes Fluid stop regrowth (I've been looking for Armitillox but not found it locally) or to you have to reapply at intervals?

Doesn't it smell of public conveniences?

Thermo said:
jays fluid and a stiff broom, with elbow grease. Cheap and easy and a lot less mess than a pressure washer, which never gets it all off anyway.

Jeyes fluid contains phenol and yes it stinks like a public toilet and is extremely toxic to cats That said, its good at clearing drains.

However im eager to understand how a 'stiff broom' and 'elbow grease' is going to be easier than standing there pointing a jet of water at the floor.

As for the efficiency of pressure washers, i have a 20 quid special from screwfix and it gets EVERYTHING off my block pavers.

just basing it on the fact that when ive used them they take an inordinate amount of time to do the job, make a hell of a mess and waste a lot of water, when the other method is quicker and gets all the moss off.

pays your money and takes your choice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back