plastering prices ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need my kitchen dining room dot and dabbed + skimming...just looking for quotes at minute frm local plasterers but should i expect a certain figure per metre of dab/skim or should i chech and compare prices any other way ? cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
Just get 3 quotes as a minimum, the cheapest one isnt always the best option, sometimes it is but not always, make sure you can see some of the work the fellas have done. Ask friends and neighbours for reccomendations, there are alot of tidy chaps about but seemingly as many cowboys that can get the finish right aswell.

yeah the plasterer who i favour strongly to do the work has been around today to have a good look + give me a daywork price of £190 :eek: hes well known in the area reccomended highly by many and is a proper time served plasterer with 30 yrs experience which is confirmed by others...said he will be 4 days so £760..he works alone so has no lad to pay out of that etc which i think is expensive in these tough times tbh i was taken aback when he told me his daywork price and just said oh :eek: so to speak..hes coming back midweek to put a mats list together although said i might have another quote(b4 he gave me his price) what do you plasterers charge on daywork of late (im in west yorkshire btw) the quality of his work is very very good through word of mouth tbh..should i just accept this daywork price or try get him to lower it to lets say £150 a day in line with other tradesmans charges! ive just hired a very good joiner who only charged me £100 a day recently to fit a loft ladder kit + skirtings arcs etc,and i only get £100 daily as a spark less deductions fuel etc ? cheers again :)

If he is charging £190 and had been going for 30 years then I dont think he is going to work for you for less, will you do wiring for £70 a day? How would you feel getting knocked on your day rate? If you cant afford him im sure you can get someone in for cheaper, as advised, get a minimum of 3 quotes matey :)

Sponsored Links
john i dont think he gets that sort of money all the time as he will sub to other people i reckon on a more reasonable £100 a day..he knows i need it doing urgently so has ramped the price up! a third of the kitchen has already been boarded so doesnt have the lot to do tbh..i think £600 would have still been a good price for him in this economic climate ..so gonna get other quotes and let him know of this

If you think he's taking advantage of you and your situation then he cant be that reputable and do you really want someone like that working in your home. That being said, you are speculating alot.

john is £190 a day acceptable then in these times ? are you a plasterer ..if so what do you charge ? no-matter who or how good you are every tradesmans prices have been driven down fact..+ i said hes 30 yrs experience time served etc..i didnt say hes been getting £190 a day recently all the time..just think its very steep thats all ..he aint getting it frm me anyway,its only dot and dabbing skimming :)

the old spread i worked with while i was learning used to charge £150 a day 100 for him and £50 for his lab and he had been spreading for more than 30 years, also i know another spread whos just retired of 30 years + experience and when times were tough you could have had him for £80 a day
both were good, but saying that there are to many spreads down this way to charge good money, i looked in my local paper the other day and someones advertising skimming at £80 a room,
of course you can get another spread in cheaper than £190 but you will have to take a chance on him he might be good he may not, £190 down this way buys you a lab as well and it will shave a good day off the 4 days hes saying its going to take him

£190 is at the top end these days but in plastering you generally get what you pay for; skill, experience & quality work has a premium. If you pay peanuts you usually get monkeys & if you think paying £100/day for a plasterer is “more reasonable” then I’m pretty sure which category they will fit into; you’d be lucky to get someone fresh off a 3 day course to do it for that.

Do you have any proof he subs at those sort of rates? I would be very careful who I passed any job onto as a poor result would ultimately affect my reputation. If you want a quality job & he’s as good as you say he is pay it. If, on the other hand, you want to risk it looking like a pigs ear for the sake of a hundred quid! the choice is yours.

yeah cheers guys i will get quotes frm other plasterers as i want a fixed price which i believe should be around £600 as its 4 days graft at worst..i will let him know of this to get real with his price or lose the job end of..cheers anyway for all veiws :)

Is that just for labour...... steep in my opinion.

Not saying dont pay that but hes probably busy anyway so threw a high price in and if he gets the job BONUS.

For the moment forget about the day rate. You might be comparing apples and oranges.

Get a total price for the job, look at each of their work or talk to customers.

The important things are

- how much is the job worth to you?
- what standard to you want?

What you 'reckon' he gets elsewhere is irrelevant.

Telling someone with 30 years experience to 'get real or lose the job, end of' is only going to mean one thing, you'll have to get someone else to do it regardless !

Be sensible, get the 3+ quotes in, look at their work and judge then.

Who boarded the rest of the room?

at the end of the day its what he thinks hes worth and with 30 years experience he could well be the mutts nuts and he proberly knows it there fore charges a premium for his work, if as your saying loads of people have said hes really good then ask them what they paid for him, if they confirm it was steep but worth it then there you go he does get them prices cos people know hes worth it.
it is at the top end as everyones said but if you know your work is much better than the competition then why not charge more.
if you tell im the price take it or leave it he will tell you to poke it proberly, whats the point in asking for a price then saying no its only worth this much, no job is worth said amount a job is worth what the trades man values himself at and what the client is willing to pay.
coinceidentaly my cousin is a sparky and will NEVER charge less than 170 for a day and usually gets around 220 for a day, and hes banged out with work, this is because people know hes flipping good and they want the best

john is £190 a day acceptable then in these times ? are you a plasterer ..if so what do you charge ? no-matter who or how good you are every tradesmans prices have been driven down fact..+ i said hes 30 yrs experience time served etc..i didnt say hes been getting £190 a day recently all the time..just think its very steep thats all ..he aint getting it frm me anyway,its only dot and dabbing skimming :)

I dont know whats acceptable ever, you always pay the money and take your choice. It's a one off payment and ultimatly you are quibbling about £160. On the other hand the guy may be rubbish and the reccomendations you have are from people who dont know what they are looking at or are not fussy.

Am I a plasterer? not as such, I can plaster (not all aspects), amongst other trades, I left school and did a full electrical apprentiship. What my day rate down here in Swansea is will bare no relevence to what people are getting in Leeds unfortunatly but seeing as you asked, if you were a mate and were very local you could have me from 9 - 5 for £80 a day. If your a general customer I will work for between £100 and £250 a day dependent on location and if I require another tradesman with me, these are extreme ends of the scale here. It will depend on the type of work you want from me. If you want a fixed price you are going to have a higher quotation as although I am fairly good at forseeing most problems I cannot see around corners.

Dotting, dabbing and skimming are prob the easiest aspects of plastering, why not do some or all of the work yourself to save some bucks??

hes been around again today told him i thought it was a bit steep and hes agreed a price of £600 all in which im happy with..he just said he will work late and try to get it done in less time so he can drop onto other jobs sooner..everyones happy cheers to all anyway

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back