Filling Plasterboard Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just done a little bit of plasterboarding however with walls being not square i have some gaps where the plasterboards butt upto each other. Whats best filler to use before plastering? can i just use normal caulk filler?

thanks in advance

Lee

Sponsored Links
The boards should be close butted really, what sort of gaps are we talking about? If you’re having it skimmed then plaster is the thing to use, then reinforced with tape; don’t use caulk or filler. Are you doing the plastering? Have you ever done any before?

If getting a plasterer in then my advice is to let him sort it out as part of his prep. Doing your own prep might sound like a good idea & a way of saving money but in reality it will take a decent plasterer very little extra time & you will save very little if any cash. The downside is that if it’s not correctly done then things could go wrong; I always prefer to do my own prep, it’s the only way I will guarantee my work. If I do it & it goes wrong it can only be my fault, if you do it & it goes wrong who’s fault do you think it will be! ;)

I agree with the comments from RC and JR. Never use caulk filler on any joints in plasterboard,, full stop,, always use a suitable product made for the job.

Sponsored Links
Hi all thx for that. Yep i will be plastering the area myself ive done a few walls ceilings in my house. Gaps on average are 5mm but one or 2 of the boards its about 10mm. Will be skimming fri will use multifinish its the only type ive used only because of it doesnt dry so quick lol

Christ how on earth did you end up with gaps of 5mm let alone 10mm. :eek:

Cos of the way the old stud wall who ever made it designed it on for plasterboarding. Got sum plasterboard jointin compound will fill with that before skimming. Shud i pva filler b4 skimming? Thx m8

If that's ready mixed joint compound, i "wouldn't" fill the gaps up with that. Use a plaster/filler,, Easifill, Bonding,Multi Finish, anything that'll set up. Ready Mix wont set,, it dries out. Once you've filled the joints and they've set, you could pva over them if you're worried about suction. Don't forget, always plaster onto the pva while it's wet/tacky.

You should always butt the board joints close (plumb vertical) & then cut the boards to suit, top/bottom & trim the end boards to suit. As I already posted, I would not use PB jointing compound or filler, I would use Multi; Gripfill, as posted by JRP, may be OK but I’ve never tried it.

You don’t (shouldn’t) need to PVA PB but it will give you more time if inexperienced which I guess you are. As your using a lot of filler/plaster, I would advise you give that area a good dose of PVA to kill suction or you’ll end up with ridges which you might have a problems coping with but don’t plaster over wet or dry PVA.

RC; was compiling my post "off line" & didn’t check for updates; honest ;)

Does he gripfill board 'A' edge then slide board 'B' over to meet it? Or does he do it afterwards?

hes a bit obsessed woth grip fill sometimes he does both haha but i think most of the time he just puts the boards up first then gripfill after

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back