Oven Fan Element - will 2500w work instead of 2300w

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with this, am I safe to replace an orginal 2300w oven fan element with a 2500w one? If so, what are the implications of this - will the oven be hotter than it states on the knobs or will it just warm up quicker or something?

Basically I have a Rangemaster 6014 which was in the house when we bought it and it seems the fan element has gone (i.e. fan spins but never heats up).

I have contacted Rangemaster who gave me the part number of 1170000136 and after goggling it, it is a cheap replacement (£11) but it states it's 2500w compared to the manual of my original oven saying the element is 2300w.

Any help is greatly appreciated - I just dont want to blow up the oven or something, lol

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Your oven will only get as hot as the thermostat lets it, so in that respect the extra 200W doesn't have that much bearing except the oven will get up to temperature marginally quicker. I am VERY surprised Rangemaster pointed you towards a cheap pattern replacement when they can charge you this much http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk...ouble Oven stainless steel&path=156166,601258 At the end of the day its your choice. As with many pattern spares quality is sometimes questionable...you get what you pay for. At a whopping £75 for a genuine element maybe Rangemaster have started to use pattern replacements themselves :LOL:

Your oven will only get as hot as the thermostat lets it, so in that respect the extra 200W doesn't have that much bearing except the oven will get up to temperature marginally quicker. I am VERY surprised Rangemaster pointed you towards a cheap pattern replacement when they can charge you this much http://www.rangemaster-spares.co.uk...ouble Oven stainless steel&path=156166,601258 At the end of the day its your choice. As with many pattern spares quality is sometimes questionable...you get what you pay for. At a whopping £75 for a genuine element maybe Rangemaster have started to use pattern replacements themselves :LOL:

Hence the reason for my question as I also saw the £75 options earlier so wanted to know if the person was mistaken pointing me towards cheaper options at 2500w when I needed 2300w. Think if it isn't going to "blow up" I may as well give the £11 option a try as it'll save me £64 is if it works. Even if it doesn't last as long as the £75 part would, at £11 I could replace it another 5 times to come to the same price.

Thanks for your help, especially the info on the thermostat, it's good to learn something new each day :)

Sponsored Links
That's not range masters website, it's one made to look like theirs, they don't sell direct to the public.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back