New surface needed before laying vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm wanting to have the floor in the bathroom re-laid, as the vinyl that is there is getting pretty manky and wasn't put down very well by the previous owners in the first place. I'm thinking of putting down some self-adhesive vinyl tiles, and I'm looking for some advice so that I can do a decent job (or at least avoid disaster!).

I've peeled back section of the vinyl to see what's underneath (see photo). Looks like the floors is chipboard. My first question is - can I simply put self-adhesive tiles directly onto this surface, or should I put something else down first?

My second question is that there is a small hole in floor (seen in the photo), which is about 5 x 12 cm. Any tips on how I can patch that up?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Replying to my own thread...

Reading up on this on the net, it seems to me that it should be okay to put tiles down onto the chipboard but first the chipboard should be prepared "with a suitable primer".

Is that right, and if so what would be a suitable primer?

You would probably be better to fix some wbp ply over the floor first. This will give you a good base on which to lay the tiles and depending on the thickness would support your hole. I would also suggest you don't use self adhesive tiles - they don't have the best adhesive.

I would buy vinyl tiles that can be installed with a pressure sensitive adhesive.

I would definately prep the floor with 6mm ply and then fit the tiles, you'll get much better results than messing with direct fixing to chipboard, plus it's not usually recommended to fit to chipboard as it's not the most stable of materials.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back