Pipe arrangement to combi-boiler with leaking valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend called me to say that he had a leak on the valve that he uses to (occasionally) re-pressurize his CH system and could I replace it for him. I assumed he was referring to a filling loop but when he explained that there was no braided hose I asked him to send a piccy of said valve. This is what he has on a boiler (WB 28i Junior) that has been installed in the last couple of years:

Ever seen anything like this before? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Well it is the only existing way of re-pressurizing the system. What I find odd, though, is that considering that this boiler was installed within the last couple of years that the contractors did not install a proper filling-loop.

Sponsored Links
The Filling arrangement is Illegal
there MUST BE AN AIR GAP when not in use, a Filling loop has a flexible pipe wqhich SHOULD BE REMOVED when not in use!! ;)

the installation is a lash up with fittings the installer had in his van/horse box.
previous boiler was a vokera combi and the original fill point has been left in position (it was not allowed when the vokera boiler was originally fitted) also a few vokera parts still in those photos.
PS do not turn that valve with white plastic in middle of centre photos as it will pour out water.

sunnie.

OK, OK, but apart from there being no condensate pipe, no earth bonding, no air gap and the whole arrangement being illegal is there anything to worry about? :oops:

Pampers: I actually recall matey mentioning that he was having a replacement boiler installed a couple of years ago. Obviously the absent condensate etc would imply that the boiler is much older than that, but could a dodgy installer manage to lay his hands on a non-condensing model if he tried? There can clearly have been no certification provided so the installer, presumably, is not registered. :eek:

Sunnie: I thought very small flats were sometimes eligible for non-condensing boilers but, otherwise, don’t they all need condensate pipes these days? Thanks for the comments re the previous Vokera and the white handle.

Agincourt1415: Thanks for the ref but 41-311-70 seems to relate to a 24i. I have had a browse if a couple of installation PDFs for the 28i but cannot see any sign of an internal filling loop. If it did have one it is not something the owner/user could operate in anycase, is it?

Thanks to all the comments and sorry for the gruesome pictures. ;)

certain properties can get a exception to having a condensing boiler ,but in reality if the checks done properly unless its a internal flat with no external walls or route to roof or comunal path to run a flue to a external wall on the 10 th floor its not going to get one.
Other than that yes all condensing boiler need a condense pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back