United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just finished re-puttying a sash window. I now need to paint

the window. Should I paint undercoat over the putty first before

applying the final coat of silk. I wondered because most paints don't

require an undercoat anymore.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You should leave the putty to skin over/harden, at least 8 days, before painting. The putty is a bare surface so best to undercoat first then coat up with topcoat/s. Note; one coat instructions refer to a primed surface ;)

ps... Hope you primed the wood rebate and let it dry before applying putty!
good luck..

Putty dont stick too well on raw timber so rebates need to be primed first. New putty has lots of linseed oil in it so this will have to dry out first before coating with primer/undercoat. If painted too soon the paint will wrinkle as the oil tries to dry out. Have to be careful of the birds as well cos they love the oil in it. often see peck marks in the morning. :confused:

Robbie uk said:
Have to be careful of the birds as well cos they love the oil in it. often see peck marks in the morning. :confused:

Yeah bloody Magpies!!! I made a luverly job of replacing putties in a large timber porch, returned 2 wks later to paint etc when putty had set.... What a bloody mess :eek: evry fillett had been spoiled :evil:

Sponsored Links
You should leave the putty to skin over/harden, at least 8 days, before painting.

I had always thought - "leave it a week or more."

We've got scaffolding up, and the roofer's "multi-purpose" chap said he would re-putty & paint the upstairs windows. Which he did, all in the same day ! Now the paint has wrinkled...

What do I do ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back