Fixing Back-boxes in plaster & lath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm changing an existing 1-way + 2-way switch into a 2-way + 3-way and have removed the switch and back-box from the wall in the process. The existing back-box was "held" in place on some filler of some sort squished in against a load of plastic bags which were filling the void in a plaster & lath stud wall.

What's the best way to satisfactorily re-fix the back box? I've not seen a dry-wall backbox which can cope with the thickness of the plaster and lath - and anyway I've made a mess of the wall in getting the original back-box out, so don't have a neat hole it could slot into. Ideally I'd like to fix the back box in place first and then deal with making good the surrounding plasterwork.

Thanks,
Adam

Sponsored Links
As you've gashed the wall already, can you not cut back to the uprights and fit a noggin between them to allow back box to be screwed into place?

Heh. Thanks, that's a fair point - though I'd rather not make even more mess if I can help it!

Adam

Everyone has posted to help you here so please consider posting a follow up of what you did and if poss a a before, during and after photos (we love photos) this will help future people with the same problem

Sponsored Links
What's the best way to satisfactorily re-fix the back box? I've not seen a dry-wall backbox which can cope with the thickness of the plaster and lath - and anyway I've made a mess of the wall in getting the original back-box out, so don't have a neat hole it could slot into.
If you've already made a mess of the wall (we've all been there!), why not neaten up the hole in the lath/plaster and repair it with a bit of plasterboard - after which you could use a standard 'dry-wall backbox'. I've done that a few times in similar circumstances.

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back