No lead flashing and wrong tiles- pls HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - sorry more roof problems with my new roof. From photos you can see I have a small section of roof (approx 1.5m x 6m) that I think is around 15 degree pitch.

1) Should the builder have put lead flashing all the way across to go along the junction where the pitch changes?
If so how easy is it to put lead across now?

2) These are Marley double roman tiles with min. pitch 22.5 degrees. With the roof pitch at 15 degree, do I have a big problem?!! :cry: :cry: *tears*

Please please help with your advice. THANK YOU!!! View media item 50792 View media item 50793

Sponsored Links
Strictly there should be a flashing there because, as the rainwater flows down the steeper slope and hits the shallower slope, the water will slow down and may be wind-driven back up under the upper tiles.

You would need to remove the lower layer of the upper slope to fix the lead.

Possibly more of a problem is the pitch. Marley will not guarantee any tiles below their stated pitch. If you have adequate felting underneath, you may be safe from water penetration, but it's possible the tiles won't last as long as they should, because of frost damage etc.

I would also be concerned about that black pipe discharging rainwater onto the tiles. It's not acceptable to discharge like that if the tiles are laid at or below the recommended minimum pitch.

Should only discharge onto tiles that are laid well within guidelines otherwise water may penetrate.

From a practical point of view, I would extend the pipe so it reaches the gutter below and also put a bend on the end to direct water into the gutter.... Or relocate pipe if possible.

You really need to find out the exact pitch of those tiles at the bottom section of the roof.

Lot's of knowledgable folks here but I would also get in touch with Marley technical department, sharing the pitch info and those photos.

http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Contact-Us.aspx

(I am not a roof tiler but hope this info helps)

As said, measure roof pitch of the lower section. This detailing does not always require a flashing it depends on tile type . It looks. Like to me barrens have been incorectly set out for this detail.
Also try and find the head lap of the last tile before the pitch change.
Maybe also post a pic of the whole. Elevation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks datarebal. The lower section pitch is 15 degrees.
They are marley double roman interlocking tiles which have minimum pitch 22.5 degree with headlamp 100mm.
The headlap of the last tile is not clear but looks very small.
Please can you explain how the battens look to have been set incorrectly?

Many thanks!

First impressions of your roof is that it has been done by a neat, competent tiler.

I think that the degree of risk of the roof leaking has to be put into context. Marley recommend a minimum pitch of 22.5 at 100mm headlap - they therefore consider that the tiles won't leak in normal (whatever that is) weather conditions, common sense tells you that they probably won't start leaking if the pitch is one or even two degrees lower.

Redland manufacture a virtually identical tile (50 Double Roman) which has a minimum pitch of 17.5 degrees, IMO if the Redland tiles perform adequately at that pitch then so would the Marleys.

With regard to the lead flashing at the change of pitch, the technical manuals will recommend it, but it is most commonly not installed (except on slated roofs) with no resulting leaks. I would not be concerned about the lack of a flashing.

Provided the battens have been spaced to give a minimum 100mm headlap I can see no problem with the setting out

the fact that there is very little headlap at the change of pitch in it's self is wrong. The roof has been set out with the tile batten at pitch change incorrectly positioned to give a reasonable amount of headlap where it should have a lot.

I agree in normal circmstances and exposure I would expect either of the DR tiles to work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back