Second hand 'Swallows' tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're about to strip off the old clay tiles fitted in 1930 and will be replacing with new. Just wondered if there is a good place to try to sell old tiles - these are Swallows made in Surrey and probably have 6000 fitted right now.

It would be useful to know what second hand tiles like these go for and whether there is much demand.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Matt

Sponsored Links
If you had asked this before the recession i woyld have said they were worth about £4po -£500 per thousand if they were in good condition.

Now probably £180-£200 and if then its not easy to find someone to buy them.

Good Luck

They will have some value to a reclaimation yard but only worth doing if you pallet the tiles up, wrap 'em and leave them handy for the lorry hiab.

Swallows are very desirable tiles and I think that they will still be in demand from salvage yards

Have a phone around.

If it's of interest, some places may negotiate to strip the tiles at no charge for the salvage value.

Sponsored Links
I've just researched Swallow Tiles, apparently they started producing in 1860!

Sadly they went out of business in 2008

Hi Matt
I may be too late but I would be interested in your tiles if they are still available. I'm new to the site so not sure how to contact you. Please let me know.

The tiles are gone - only got £200 for the 1000 good tiles left over. Better than a poke in the eye etc etc. I should have kept a closer look on here. Been busy building and not so much time on line!

The Swallow Tile Company site is just outside Cranleigh and looks like it is being redeveloped. Sad end to a good British company.

Thanks for the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back