Is this safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My darling daughter has decided to get on the property ladder.
She has sent me some photos of her prospective purchase.
Is it my eyes or is there signs of overheating at the meter?
Also the earth connection looks like a jubilee clip !!

Sponsored Links
nope doesn't look like it to me.

A better picture might make things easier, but it looks ok, the cables are a big grotty, and clearly somebody needs some painting lessons but I can't see any overheating

Sponsored Links
that's a brown cable tie indicating the polarity

You can see it on the far left live tail too.

Unless I'm not looking at the same thing as you :confused:

I can see a brown cable tie, can't see any burning - a clearer pic may help

Thanks guys that puts my mind at rest.
Problem is she is miles away...

What about the earth ?

Given the amount of paint, it's hard to say what it is, it looks more like an earth clamp than a jubilee clip.

I'd be looking at replacing that clamp and getting rid some of the paint on the incomer and stripping back that cable so there's some actual copper.

Not recommending you do this yourself though. If you're concerned you can get a spark in to test how good an earth it's providing - if it's good as is, I wouldn't worry

I'd definately be having an EICR carried out on that installation. The CU is >30 years old, so I'd expect the wiring to be too. Well worth a good going over to find out what condition the installation is really in.

Given the amount of paint, it's hard to say what it is, it looks more like an earth clamp than a jubilee clip.

I'd be looking at replacing that clamp and getting rid some of the paint on the incomer and stripping back that cable so there's some actual copper.

Not recommending you do this yourself though. If you're concerned you can get a spark in to test how good an earth it's providing - if it's good as is, I wouldn't worry

As I said before she lives a hundred miles or so from here so will need a proper spark to do the job.
As long as its safe for now thats great.
when she gets the place done up all that stuff will be gone anyway...

when she gets the place done up all that stuff will be gone anyway...

Well no it won't, as all the items that you have queried are the property of the electricity supply company. They won't do anything to it unless
a) there's a fault
or
b) you pay them wads of cash

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back