Stop cock broken on lead pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Our electric shower stopped working, we got a new one and before installing it turned off what we thought was the stop cock, this was very stiff and after turning it something seemed to snap, the only thing it off was water in dorm stairs toilet. Had to turn water off outside. Managed to fit new shower. However now have no water in down stairs toilet the stop cock just spins.

Will this be difficult to fix with it been lead to copper? Is it possible to do yourself or is it best to get a plumber in, any ideas of cost?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Having problems posting image hopefully this works

edited by moderator
have put in the pic

the link has to look like

[net]26496/55928_68044626.jpg[/net]

couple of choices for ya Steve,
Undo nut under crutch head, take out broken inners and replace head with PTFE etc, you'll have a non working stopcock but you'll have water and you may not have to go shopping for that, or the same but replace the inners for new, shopping trip needed for that one, or call a plumber lead can be a bugger if or when something goes wrong

A picture would be helpful. That link doesn't work
Is the broken stop tap onto lead directly or is there any copper off the lead before the stop tap?

Sponsored Links
A picture would be helpful. That link doesn't work
Is the broken stop tap onto lead directly or is there any copper off the lead before the stop tap?

Look in his profile you can see for youself the nightmare potential

Just get your torch and a stick of lead, and join a new stopcock to the pipe with a couple wiped joints. :cool:

Many thanks for your replies. Would it be a reasonably simple job for a plumber ie relitively cheap?

Just so I understand this right can I undo the nut on the tap and remove the inside and replace the inners without put a whole new tap on? What is PTFE?

Thanks

Many thanks for your replies. Would it be a reasonably simple job for a plumber ie relitively cheap?

Just so I understand this right can I undo the nut on the tap and remove the inside and replace the inners without put a whole new tap on? What is PTFE?

Thanks

Steve, without being rude if you don't know what PTFE is get a plumber don't touch it.

Thanks

Steve, without being rude if you don't know what PTFE is get a plumber don't touch it.

Yes your probably right!

Someone has suggested that the water board would be responsible for this, is this true?

It would need good access and all the right bits handy, and awareness of the things that can go badly. Like the lead snapping like a carrot just at the worst point.

Often it's best to leave alone, and put another stopcock in along the line somewhere.

An older plumber will be able to fit a new copper pipe to the old lead. It is then easy to fit new copper and brass fittings.

If you are unable to find a plumber to fix it, buy a new half-inch brass stopcock at a plumbers merchant or DIY shed, and then you can (on the kitchen table with a big spanner) unscrew the headworks from the body of the new valve. There is a fair chance that if you unscrew the works from the old one in the same way, the new head will fit the old body. Plumbers are very traditional.

PTFE is white plumbers sealant tape, if you wind a few turns round the thread of the new headworks, overlapping slightly onto the thickness of the brass at the end to resist being pulled off, it will help seal against slight leakage when you screw it in.

Don't apply great force to a valve supported only by lead pipe as it may bend and even tear.

There is a possibility that the water board will help you, you could ask.

Thanks

Yes your probably right!

Someone has suggested that the water board would be responsible for this, is this true?

No not true, homeowners responsible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back