Kitchen backsplash advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Gonna tackle my kitchen splash back this weekend, bought 3 meter square of 8x4 white beveled tiles and a bag of adhesive
The splash back involves one right angle in the wall, and a bit of a riser up to cooker hood, and 4 sockets...
Any advice? Do I start with the tiles hard up to the counter? Or do I space off the counter? Do I start from center of cooker hood and work outwards?

It's a skimmed wall so nice and flat.
Oh and what size trowel teeth is recommended? Cheers

Sponsored Links
photo might help, but in general;

Yes start from the centre of the cooker hood and work outwards as thats most likely to be your focal point BUT you should dry lay out to check that it doesnt leave you stupid (tiny) cuts on either side, and then continue dry laying out to make sure the cuts work well around the sockets (ideally but not massively important) and when getting into the corner and other edges.

Start from the worktop as long as its level, check this before you start, and again work dry layout upwards to make sure that if you start from the worktop (and in 99% of cases you should) it doesnt leave bad cuts at the top.

When dry laying out, dont forget to allow for the spacer!

trowel wise, as long as the wall is flat go for a 6 or 8mm trowel.

Bagged adhesive isn't required for this size of tile, might be worth changing it for a good quality tubbed adhesive

hi here's the photo.... Thanks fir advice, ill post another photo when it's done

cooker hood is ya focal point, put a pencil line at the centre, dry lay ya tiles with spacers inc, that will tell you if you need to start centre of a tile on mark or edge of tile on mark, then work ya way up the wall exactly the same. Tubbed addy is best

Sponsored Links
Agree with what jc said.

mask off your hob too, adhesive and grout scratches when you wipe it off!

they look like the undergound tiles/metro tiles looking good there did you need to get longer socket screws?

and acrylic primer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back