Consumer unit / fuse box first time buyer help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have recently had our offer accepted on our first home and it needs lots of work. We have looked at the electric and it has an old style fuse box, we are looking to get this replaced with a new style consumer unit and I was hoping for some idea of cost. I have no knowledge of electrics and any help would be fantastic. I've attached a photo of the current fuse box.

Can anyone let me know how much a unit would be to buy and also labour costs. We hope to eventually fit an electric shower and it will also need t supply the power to the oven if that makes any difference. It's a 2 bed house with 2 reception rooms.

Sponsored Links
I got mine done by the previous owner in with the sale terms.
But there a LOT of past threads on this. The main issue is it depends hugely on the area, and if there are any issues or complications requiring rework to bring the wiring up to spec, remove shared neutrals, etc.

But in broad brush figures? I have heard anywhere from £350 to 950.

Daniel

Hi, Rubysdarcy.
You need a qualified sparks on this. Obviously no sparks worth his salt will quote a price over the phone without seeing the job first although he might give you a best case scenario. Unless the property has a certificate showing a recent electrical safety test (your solicitor should have asked the seller's solicitor for one) it is safe to assume that there will be faults on the system although not necessary dangerous ones standards have changed with the intro' of 17th edition wiring regs.
A sparks will give you a quote but should explain to you that any faults he may find will need to be rectified before proceeding with the work and signing it off. Even simple things like earth protection/bonding which by the age of your existing c.u. will no doubt need an upgrade.
Don't be too despondent though. Your sparks will carry out an insulation tests amongst others and let you know the results and unless there are any real major issues it shouldn't hit your pocket too badly. Just remember it is after all for your own safety.
I've just changed out a c.u for a customer, installed a new c.u in a different position (where the customer doesn't now need a step ladder to re set any fuses), provided new meter tails and upgraded all earth protection/bonding, chopped out 3 fused spurs that were wired in series! and converted these to double sockets (3) and provided new cable so they are now part of the down stairs ring. Issued a certificate of completion and charged £480. Hope this helps.
Mike (electrical contractor).

Sponsored Links
Back