House wired wierdly? And consumer unit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After some testing in my new house, I've worked out that the sockets rather than being upstairs and downstairs, are in fact front and back.

Is this 'normal' at all? While it doesn't necessarily bother me, thinking practically, are there any issues with this? The only thing I can think of is if I need to isolate a whole floor, I have to isolate the whole house?

I'm yet to work out whether the cooker is on a separate fuse (hopefully) as well as the shower pump.

Secondly;

On my consumer unit, I have 5 circuit fuses, that are labelled as not protected by RCD. Number 3 is upstairs lighting, number 5 is downstairs. I don't know if the other 3 do anything.

Next to that I have 3 circuit fuses RCD protected. Number 1, currently unknown, number 2 is the front half of the house sockets, and number 3 the back half sockets.

I have room on the consumer unit for one more of each RCD protected and not.

Does this all sound normal? Are lights normally non RCD protected?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edit: Oh, and lastly, is it possible to buy stickers for the consumer unit so I know which is which without referring to my notepad all the time?

Sponsored Links
After some testing in my new house, I've worked out that the sockets rather than being upstairs and downstairs, are in fact front and back. Is this 'normal' at all?
Not unusual.
On my consumer unit, I have 5 circuit fuses, that are labelled as not protected by RCD. Number 3 is upstairs lighting, number 5 is downstairs. I don't know if the other 3 do anything.
Next to that I have 3 circuit fuses RCD protected. Number 1, currently unknown, number 2 is the front half of the house sockets, and number 3 the back half sockets.
It's not up to current standards/regulations, but it was a common arrangement in the past. A modern 'compliant system' would have two RCDs, which circuits split between the two. However, you are not under any obligation to bring the installation into compliance with current regs.
Edit: Oh, and lastly, is it possible to buy stickers for the consumer unit so I know which is which without referring to my notepad all the time?
It is - but what's wrong with plain sticky labels and a pen (or, to be more fancy, some computer-printable labels and a word-processor) - unless you are worried about 'beauty'?!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
After some testing in my new house, I've worked out that the sockets rather than being upstairs and downstairs, are in fact front and back.
Could be that the property was original two, therefore two socket circuits, that serve both upstairs and down.
Is this 'normal' at all?
Not normal practise for a new installation, but does have it's advantages!
While it doesn't necessarily bother me, thinking practically, are there any issues with this?
No issues regarding safety, providing you prove isolation when doing work on either circuit, it would be beneficial to have sockets available on each level, if one circuit was to become faulty.
The only thing I can think of is if I need to isolate a whole floor, I have to isolate the whole house?
And when would that be necessary, unless you had a flood, then the location and height of the consumer unit and metering would also dictate issues.

I'm yet to work out whether the cooker is on a separate fuse (hopefully) as well as the shower pump.
Well you will need to investigate further to discover that.

Secondly;
having a look inside would tell you if any conductors were connected, then you can investigate from thereon.

I have room on the consumer unit for one more of each RCD protected and not.

They would be now, but they did not always require to be.

You can buy them, you can also print them off and you could also stick a circuit chart up at the CU!

Thanks everyone.

Got no issue with writing them on, just never would fit them with my hand writing. lol

Does anyone know where I could purchase them?

My late sisters house in Flint was wired side to side and this resulted in less cable and as a result a better ELI so although not a common as up/down split it has many advantages and if re-wiring my house would consider it as an option.

Pre 2008 having circuits not RCD protected was normal. The problem is when extending the existing circuits they have to comply with 2008 regulations but unless altered they are OK.

If you want to upgrade to 2008 regulations the best option is to replace the non RCD protected circuits with RCBO's however these are longer than MCB's and will not fit in all consumer units.

You might find they don't quite meet your needs as they are rather generic. I imagine you'll probably get things like "upstairs sockets" and "downstairs sockets". Not sure what you'll stick those on :)

Better solution would be to number each circuit and then make a nice little spreadsheet of what each number does and stick it next to the consumer unit (I mean like print it off, not place a USB stick next to the CU!).

I believe it in the case of large installations it's tradition to make the circuit descriptions as generic as possible to really annoying the building manager. We've had the kitchen trip out a couple of times at work and I've dragged the sparkies up to the dist board:

Gaffer> Hmm, well, that one's tripped. What does it say?
Best Boy> "General Sockets"
Gaffer> f****** h***!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back