stinky kitchen sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Occasionally there's a horrible smell coming from the kitchen sink ... I did have a plumber take a look a year or so ago and he suggested it might be 'just the way the wind is blowing'! :confused:

It's fitted with a U bend and (very very) rarely does food debris fall down the plughole (we're a tiny charity using an office and kitchen in a 7 year old building - we're responsible for the cost of repairs).

Any suggestions as to what I could do to resolve the matter.

Many thanks!

Nicola

Sponsored Links
If the sink has an overflow, try putting thick bleach down it, debris collects in the overflow and can cause a stink.

EDIT: two posts at once!

If you're confident, take overflow off and wash it in another sink, as said these trap stuff and its rots and stinks. Make sure no-one uses the sink when its out ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

The overflow isn't blocked but it did remind me that the sink is so rarely used there's never fresh water going down there.

I'll try bleach next .... thus delaying tackling removing the overflow myself!

Thanks again

:D

Another option which has worked in our kitchen sink in the past (without full dismantling) is to tip a decent quantity of distilled vinegar down the waste and try to let it stand for a few hours or overnight.

Then rinse through.

Repeat every few months.

It has worked for us and very low cost <£1 for a bottle from the supermarket and probably more enviro friendly than bleach. Worth a go.

The overflow isn't blocked but it did remind me that the sink is so rarely used there's never fresh water going down there.

Maybe the water in the trap has just dried out, letting sewer smells into the kitchen. Tip some water down it and see if the smell stops.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back