Waterproofing External Stone and Mortar barn Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Does anyone have any recommendations for a paint/spray on solution that will provide a good barrier to prevent water penetration through a stone and mortar barn wall.

All render is in good condition and all new pvc windows fitted but water is still getting in through the walls in a few places.

Any recommendations gratefully received
thanks

robin

Sponsored Links
An old mate of mine, who was a bricklayer, once told me that a paint-on liquid silicone is as good as anything. I can't remember the brand name, though.

Nowadays BC will really only accept either a fully tanked wall with either Vandex or Newlath membrane and a separate timber stud with insulation between.

or if no tanking, a separate inner skin of blockwork built inside with an air gap between, then insulated on the inside.

If Dritherm got their act together that could be used between the untanked existing wall and a skin of blockwork but they've not tested it against uneven walls so BC won't accept it.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Walls are plastered internally and in 95% of the property are good, sound and dry. Its the end wall which gets all the rain and wind I have the problem.

The house is occupied so its not practical to build internal black walls etc.

External walls are traditional barn approx. 18" thick
thanks robin

FebSilicon is the name that comes to mine.

Cant remember the exact brand or details but re used a silicon based product on the end gable of our garage and it worked well. Only thing I would say however, mask windows if you have any. We didnt and although it does come off its a sod, and prevents you painting them for about two years!

Daniel

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
another product is grangers fluid,but iirc this works out to be very costly.when i was involved in the preservation industry we used to use spirit based silicone dpc fluid.worked out a hell of a lot cheaper as it was in 25ltr drums.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Back