running a boiler when drained

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got a greenstar 30si had to drain heating to change a rad while decorating
the rad is still off wall and heating empty
had hot water for over a week and this has now stopped no fault lights boiler just sounds like air in pump any ideas welcome

Sponsored Links
Do not try to run the boiler with the heating system empty. Most boilers won't allow you to as the low pressure will cause lockout. I'm surprised the Worcester will run with no water in the system but you risk causing it terminal damage by doing this.

Do not try to run the boiler with the heating system empty. Most boilers won't allow you to as the low pressure will cause lockout. I'm surprised the Worcester will run with no water in the system but you risk causing it terminal damage by doing this.

I turn off boiler is it possible I have caused a fault which could bite me when I refill heating

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it is not only possible but likely... Sorry

But on the other hand you may have got away with it. Won't know until you try.

Unfortunately it is not only possible but likely... Sorry

But on the other hand you may have got away with it. Won't know until you try.
strange though it supplied hot water for over a week just sounds like pump is labouring and no fault lights so any idea what could be damaged

pump possibly because its been running dry.

Heat exchanger because the water normally passing through it stops it overheating.

Any of the plasticky bits in there which have overheated.

However checking it out involves removing the cover and should only be done by an RGI for safety reasons.

pump possibly because its been running dry.

Heat exchanger because the water normally passing through it stops it overheating.

Any of the plasticky bits in there which have overheated.

However checking it out involves removing the cover and should only be done by an RGI for safety reasons.
ok so last thing how do I re fill heating I know about re fill key which goes in slot and 1/4 turn anti clock then open plastic bolt next to it is that correct
also do you think any damage be covered by boiler people as only two years old

Yes fill via the filling link as you describe. make sure the valves are closed where you've removed the rad. Vent all the air from the system via the other rads. Keep your fingers crossed.

Unlikely you'd be covered under the warranty as the problem has not been caused by a faulty boiler or parts. You may possibly be able to argue that the boiler should not have been able to run dry and the fact that it did was due to either a fault or bad design.

Yes fill via the filling link as you describe. make sure the valves are closed where you've removed the rad. Vent all the air from the system via the other rads. Keep your fingers crossed.

Unlikely you'd be covered under the warranty as the problem has not been caused by a faulty boiler or parts. You may possibly be able to argue that the boiler should not have been able to run dry and the fact that it did was due to either a fault or bad design.
might be a issue as if what you say is correct it supplied hot water for over a week!
I assumed it would be ok as used to a feed and expansion with hot water tank,and again no fault lights or lock outs or re sets

Sounds like a wind up thread but if its not, when you get your new boiler just remember you don't need to drain the system to change a radiator. Expensive bit of decorating .

Sounds like a wind up thread but if its not, when you get your new boiler just remember you don't need to drain the system to change a radiator. Expensive bit of decorating .
no wind up drained down and left it supplying hot water again for over a week
I though was ok to do it,as boiler was giving hot water with heating drained down

Its a wind up if its not its due to your incompetance and lack of knowledge serves you right for ****ing around with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back