One third of Britons admit being racially prejudiced

Additionally, any thing I say will be wasted on you because your mind is completely closed to any other viewpoint.

Funny that - when I offered "another person's viewpoint" vis a vis lack of information re: respondent's race / ethnicity, your mind couldn't / wouldn't conceive that it wasn't my own view.
I accepted and agreed with your initial observation.

It was your view that it made the report/study invalid, or suggesting spurious or inflammatory assumptions, or was potentially divisive, which I disagreed with:
Thank you RH.

Without removing any obvious discrepancies or ambiguities, the study runs the risk of some people making perhaps spurious or inflammatory assumptions, to "fill in the blanks". This in itself is potentially inflammatory, and divisive.

"Publish and be damned!"

Or is the study intended to be so?

So, please don't place your misinterpretation on my comments. Although it's never stopped you before.

Sponsored Links
Of course FGM is wrong, but it doesn't make the whole culture inferior, just different.

"just different".

FGM is an act carried out by a culture that sees women as subjects, cattle, not allowed the same freedoms as the men, women in such cultures also face higher rates of rape, voilence and other forms of discrimination, oh my, I sound like a feminist.

You dont actually explain why they are not inferior, you acknowledge FGM is wrong, but you then fail to explain why it doesnt make that culture inferior, you just try to reenforce your conclusion by repetitive mantra of "just different".

Our culture evolved, we used to do many bad things, our culture is not "just different" than yesterday, it is better.

So please, explain why a culture that practicis, for example FGM, is equal to ours, and you have to do better than simply repeating over and over "no just different", explain *why* it is just different and not inferior.

There are many western practices that we disagree with ,but we have no moral position to oppose or try to stop it.

Uh, no, thats why we have laws to stop those practices, and why for instance we embargo places like north korea for their appalling human rights violations.

Moreover, you've conveniently highlighted practices that take place in the third world.

Because its part of the reason they are still 3rd world countries, not just a convenience.

Africa and india for instance have very high levels of corruption, and this contributes to their crappy economies. But this is just "different" yes? The fact it causes people to starve to death or go homeless doesnt make it an inferior cultural trait.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
You're not going to win Aron; he's being stupid and trolling. Just ignore him.

'When you are dead you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid'. He's turning stupidity into an art.

Maybe I've misunderstood him though. He's just different. :rolleyes:

Of course FGM is wrong, but it doesn't make the whole culture inferior, just different.

"just different".

FGM is an act carried out by a culture that sees women as subjects, cattle, not allowed the same freedoms as the men, women in such cultures also face higher rates of rape, voilence and other forms of discrimination, oh my, I sound like a feminist.
Perhaps you should do your homework before making sweeping statements:
Religion: FGM predates Islam and is not practiced by the majority of Muslims, but it has acquired a religious dimension. Where it is practiced by Muslims, religion is frequently cited as a reason. Many of those who oppose mutilation deny that there is any link between the practice and religion, but Islamic leaders are not unanimous on the subject. Although predominant among Muslims, FGM also occurs among Christians, animists and Jews.
http://www.endfgm.eu/en/female-genital-mutilation/what-is-fgm/why-is-it-practised/[/QUOTE]
It has been documented mainly in Africa (in 28 countries), and in a few countries in the Middle East (e.g. Yemen, Kurdish communities, Saudi Arabia), Asia and among certain ethnic groups in Central and South America. Anecdotal evidence and case studies show that FGM is now being encountered in various European countries as well.
http://www.endfgm.eu/en/female-genital-mutilation/what-is-fgm/where-is-it-practised/[/QUOTE]

It is an abhorrent practice that international organisations are working to eradicate.
But, you can't blame any religion or particular culture for FGM.

You dont actually explain why they are not inferior, you acknowledge FGM is wrong, but you then fail to explain why it doesnt make that culture inferior, you just try to reenforce your conclusion by repetitive mantra of "just different".
FGM is a practice of various cultures and can't be associated with any particular culture. So to claim any culture is inferior based on FGM is fallacious.

Our culture evolved, we used to do many bad things, our culture is not "just different" than yesterday, it is better.
So according to your opinion, China is superior to Inuuit culture because it's more developed or evolved? :rolleyes:
Or we're superior to say Texan culture where capital punishment is practised? :rolleyes:

So please, explain why a culture that practicis, for example FGM, is equal to ours, and you have to do better than simply repeating over and over "no just different", explain *why* it is just different and not inferior.
Because it's not limited to any particular culture.

There are many western practices that we disagree with ,but we have no moral position to oppose or try to stop it.

Uh, no, thats why we have laws to stop those practices, and why for instance we embargo places like north korea for their appalling human rights violations.

Moreover, you've conveniently highlighted practices that take place in the third world.

Because its part of the reason they are still 3rd world countries, not just a convenience.

Africa and india for instance have very high levels of corruption, and this contributes to their crappy economies. But this is just "different" yes?
So do many other countries.
But by your reckoning Denmark is superior to all other cultures and we're 14th on the list. :rolleyes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_Perceptions_Index

[The fact it causes people to starve to death or go homeless doesnt make it an inferior cultural trait.

:LOL:
So it's the culture now that causes famine? :rolleyes:

Culture = the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

Sorry, the definition of culture is pretty established, you cant change the definition to wiggle out of it. Some people or societies practice FGM, therefore it is a part of their culture, don't try and move the goalposts by arguing which culture or country it belongs to.

Simply tell me why you think a culture that practices FGM is equal to ours.

FGM is a practice of various cultures and can't be associated with any particular culture.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle.

Again, just to drive the point home, don't change the question, the question was not which culture it was associated with, the fact is that it is practiced, therefore it is a part of some cultures, this is the dictionary definition you cant argue with.

Explain why those cultures are equal to ours please, your attempt to wriggle out of the question is pathetic.

You do understand that Zimbabwe has the capacity to feed all of Africa, but because of its communist farming policies, and corrupt government, it can’t even feed itself.

Maybe you would like to tell the millions of people that starved under communism in various countries (and today in north korea) that it was really the weather.

Of course culture can cause famines, it has and still does, learn 2 history.

Every time roguehanger gets spectacularly nailed to the wall like this, somewhere in France, a pigeon dies.

Culture = the ideas, customs, and social behaviour of a particular people or society.

Sorry, the definition of culture is pretty established, you cant change the definition to wiggle out of it. Some people or societies practice FGM, therefore it is a part of their culture, don't try and move the goalposts by arguing which culture or country it belongs to.

Simply tell me why you think a culture that practices FGM is equal to ours.
That's like saying, "tell me why you think a culture that prays to a different god is equal to ours", or "tell me why a culture that practises capital punishment is equal to ours", or "tell me why a culture that hunts whales...", or, "tell me why a culture that allows guns...", etc.

Noe of them are equal to ours. They're different to ours and have practices which we may or may not agree with.
No-one is trying to change the definition of culture despite your silly accustaion that anyone is.
But FGM is practised in many cultures, not as a wholesale practice by all of any culture, but by a few in many cultures.
You've selected one practice that you claim is representative of certain cultures and that is a msrepresentation.

FGM is a practice of various cultures and can't be associated with any particular culture.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle.
So that's your supporting argument. :rolleyes:

Again, just to drive the point home, don't change the question, the question was not which culture it was associated with, the fact is that it is practiced, therefore it is a part of some cultures, this is the dictionary definition you cant argue with.
I repeat: it is not a wholesale practice of any culture.

Explain why those cultures are equal to ours please, your attempt to wriggle out of the question is pathetic.
Because it's not practised by all of any culture, but by a few, and on that point, in our opinion, they are misguided.

You do understand that Zimbabwe has the capacity to feed all of Africa, but because of its communist farming policies, and corrupt government, it can’t even feed itself.
Not surprising when you consider the infinitessimal sum that was spent on educating black people compared to the normal amount spent on the white people. But this argument is a regurgitation of previous arguments.
The black people were subjugated as people and now those white people that were responsible for their subjugation shout, "look they can't feed themselves", whilst hiding the fact about how little was spent on black education.

Maybe you would like to tell the millions of people that starved under communism in various countries (and today in north korea) that it was really the weather.
Communism is a political system, not a culture.

Of course culture can cause famines, it has and still does, learn 2 history.
Powerful countries also cause starvation. Powerful countries cause starvation by encouraging arid countries to use their water to grow crops to sell to countries that can afford to buy them.

Every time roguehanger gets spectacularly nailed to the wall like this, somewhere in France, a pigeon dies.
Your imagination know no bounds. You should try writing fairy stories.

Oh, you already are. :LOL: :LOL:

[re: "cultures"]:
Noe of them are equal to ours. They're different to ours and have practices which we may or may not agree with.

The practice defines or identifies the "culture" from other "cultures".

In truth, the definition of "culture" is not important here - the practices are. You however are (again) far more interested in arguing over words than getting to the nub of the matter.

How do you propose we go about eradicating FGM, for example?

[re: "cultures"]:

The practice defines or identifies the "culture" from other "cultures".

In truth, the definition of "culture" is not important here - the practices are. You however are (again) far more interested in arguing over words than getting to the nub of the matter.

How do you propose we go about eradicating FGM, for example?
Aron's claim was that UK's cultue is uperior to other cultures. Then he based it on the fact that FGM is practised in other cultures.
If his argument is that there are some minority cultures within the over-riding culture, e.g., like punk within UK culture, then I could agree that some "people" have some abhorrent practices. But that doesn't per se make the whole culture inferior to any other. Some minority practices may be abhorrent, but you can't blame the whole culture for that.

It would be like saying conmen or criminals bring UK culture down to a low level. They're aberrations within the whole culture.
It's the same with FGM, they are aberrations within many cultures.
You can't say that UK culture is bad because there have been some crimes. Yet that is the argument that Aron is trying to make.

Now which words am I supposed to be arguing about? :rolleyes:

You want to know my ideas for eradicating FGM?
I'd go along with the WHO strategy.

RH, you just wriggle wriggle wriggle, instead of explaining why a culture that practices FGM is equal to ours (or corruption or violence), you try and move the goalposts about how prevalent it is, whether it is part of a large culture

Wriggle wriggle wriggle.

I repeat: it is not a wholesale practice of any culture.

Guinea has the second highest FGM prevalence rate in the world.[3] According to a 2005 survey, 96% of all Guinea women aged between 15 and 49 have been cut. // he government of Eritrea surveyed and published an official FGM prevalence rate of 89% in 2003

Thats only true if you attempt yet again to move the goalposts as to what is culture.

300px-FGM_in_Africa.svg.png

Bam, those places are societies, Clearly FGM is a part of the culture of those countries, countries which also suffer high rates of corruption, crime, violence.

Please explain why their cultures are equal, that they are different just means they are different, repeating that ad-nausea does not prove they are equal, that can be determined by the outcome of their cultural ways.

I expect of course for you to just wiggle wiggle wiggle, good luck :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back