Plumbing Spaghetti junction!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and gals,

Just bought my first house and am currently renovating :D

After discovering that my f&e tank wasn't draining I undertook the intimidating task of hacking through copper pipe, unblocking the tee and then soldering it back together, scary! Managed to get it watertight after the 4th time trying ha ha.

But one thing I did notice when in the cupboard that I don't think is right is the following...

I'm pretty clueless at all this but to me it looks like the radiator loop feeds into the hot water tap loop.

You can see the curvy 15mm vertical pipe that comes down and joins the Main central heating loop, this is the bit I had to unblock :s,

From the tee, take a right, up through the pump. Just after the pump there is a tee the branches off to the left and into the hot water tap loop? Surely this is a bad thing, is it just a case of me closing the gate on that piece of bridging pipe? Just seems a bit wrong to me? Why would that be there?

Advice would be great, cheers :D

Sponsored Links
The connection to the tank with the blue item is very unlikely to be the feed to the hot taps. It is almost certainly one end of the coil inside the tank through which hot water from the boiler is pumped to heat the water in the tank.

The feed to the hot taps will be taken from the top of the tank.

Ah ok, that makes sense! I had no idea that's how these type of tanks work!

So is the honeywell valve for diverting water into the coil? rather than continually having it go round the radiator loop?

And just for reference, what is this type of central heating system called?

Thanks for the help dude :)

Your look like it used to be gravity primary hot water and pumped heating before it've changed to fully pumped system, your is now a "Y" plan with mid position valve above the pump.

The blue knob on left of pump is a Cyltrol, that control the temperature of hot water as closing itself as it is reaching a set point of temperature.

Really it should be remove as you have a cylinder thermostat there ( can't see but I can see the flex ) but if it is working, I would leave it. Cyltrol spindle are prone to leakage if moved.

Daniel.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back