25mm cable ???

Screwfix sell led down lights which can be dimmed.

Don't know what they are like when dimmed though.

Dimming is a pain so you might just want to buy a dimmer for 1 room and try it out first.

I guess the options are to dim or not to dim?

And to cool white or to warm white ?

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=dimmable+spot+lights

Not a bad selection of dimmable spots from screwfix. But pricey. And according to some I'd be shortening the life of the bulbs by using them with a dimmer switch ?

Sponsored Links
Not a bad selection of dimmable spots from screwfix. But pricey. And according to some I'd be shortening the life of the bulbs by using them with a dimmer switch ?
No, not with LEDs.

In general, dimming increases the life of any bulb/lamp/whatever (by reducing operating temperature), including halogens. In the specific case of halogen ones (which is what all the arguments are about), proper operation of the halogen technology requires a high bulb temperature. If you dim them, hence reduce bulb temperature, this reduces bulb/lamp life to some extent. However, although there are varying opinions about this, from what I've read, even with halogens dimming still increases life, but not to the same extent that it would be increased if it were not halogen.

Kind Regards, John

No, not with LEDs.

In general, dimming increases the life of any bulb/lamp/whatever (by reducing operating temperature), including halogens. In the specific case of halogen ones (which is what all the arguments are about), proper operation of the halogen technology requires a high bulb temperature. If you dim them, hence reduce bulb temperature, this reduces bulb/lamp life to some extent. However, although there are varying opinions about this, from what I've read, even with halogens dimming still increases life, but not to the same extent that it would be increased if it were not halogen.

Kind Regards, John

So either option is perfectly acceptable and I won't come home one day to see my house in flames and my neighbors not being able to listen to their radio because of my chosen spot lights?

Which would you chose if you were me?

[quote="SparrowHawk99" Considering I'm paying nothing for labor I'm getting a good deal. [/quote]

What's labor? Just realised it is some nasty American mis spelling.

Sponsored Links
Lamps is the correct term used for bulbs.
'Correct' in the eyes of the electrical trade,
And this forum is dedicated to the electrical trade, so enough said!
But that's the whole point - this site is not 'dedicated to the electrical trade', it's a DIY site. DIYers, like virtually all of the general public, do their shopping in high street shops or 'sheds'.

I've just done some searches on the B&Q, Homebase & Wickes websites. When I search for 'lamp', I get hundreds of hits, but not a 'light bulb' in sight. If I search for 'bulb' or 'light bulb', then I find all of your lamps, very many which are far from being 'bulb shaped'.

When you're next in one of these shops, try asking where you can find a "50W lamp" - and, if I were a betting man, I would put a fair bit of money on your not being directed to a 50W 'light bulb'!

IMO, the point of this forum is not to teach non-electricians terminology which will generally not be understood in the sort of shops they shop in :)

Kind Regards, John

[quote="SparrowHawk99";

So why the hell are they used in peoples houses if this is a problem ? Answer me that[/quote]

It's the latest fad. In six years time this forum will be full of people asking how to fill all those holes in the ceiling.

So either option is perfectly acceptable and I won't come home one day to see my house in flames and my neighbors not being able to listen to their radio because of my chosen spot lights?
Well, as has been said, lots of dimmers might possible have some effect on radios etc. but, apart from that, I would say that you're right.
Which would you chose if you were me?
LEDs, provided the colourof the light is not a problem for you (find someone who has LED lighting and see what it's like). Apart from anything else, that would decrease your lighting electricity bill by a factor of maybe around 8. As has been said, one alternative to dimming is to have multiple switching - so you can choose how many (and which - which can be good for 'mood lighting') you want on.

Kind Regards, John

[quote="SparrowHawk99";

[/quote] neighbors

Are you a yank? This is the second nasty mis spelled word you have used.

So you are going to be running the cables and allow a spark to do the actual connections?

Running the cables I would class as needing to know how to design. There is more than just running the cables. It needs to be designed first then cables ran to the design.

Are you going to be notifying building control?

Do you know about building legislations (Part L, Part P) that apply and safe zones?

Are you planning to get said spark to do the design first tell you where to run the cables and then do the donkey work your self? Or just run the cables and then get the spark in?

You do not have the competence to do this work. There is more than just running cables. What about ring finals and radials? Do you know where you would use one or the other? Do you know about earthing requirements?

I have worked out the cost of parts you require with my trade discount and I have selected MK logic for accessories, Doncaster cable, Hager all RCBO, including all parts I would consider requiring (screws wall plugs capping), without the lighting to around £425 including VAT. This gives a really good design.

I cannot remember is Part L applies to new builds or rewires. If this is the case for a rewire then 30% of the fixed lighting fittings must be low energy fittings. This is to comply with building legislation that you have to comply with.

This is why I did not select cost of lighting into my price.

Give it a rest winston

Why? Using foreign spellings on an English board derates our language.

It was more likely a spelling mistake, i for one don't use the spellcheck feature, and with out mentioning names i know of at least1 person on here that has diffuculty with spelling and words

Anyway do you preview your posts as your quotings atrocias :rolleyes:

I cannot remember is Part L applies to new builds or rewires. If this is the case for a rewire then ...
I may be wrong, but as far as I can make out, the requirements of Part L regarding lighting only apply to new builds or if there is a "change of use" - so I don't think that a rewire (or even major renovation of the building which did not involve a change of use) would invoke these requirements.

Kind Regards, John

SparrowHawk99 said:
So why the hell are they used in peoples houses if this is a problem ? Answer me that

It's the latest fad. In six years time this forum will be full of people asking how to fill all those holes in the ceiling.

BAS was trotting out that line when I joined this forum.

I'm fitting just as many downlighters for customers as I was when I started out in this trade. The only thing that's changed is we fit flush white LED downlights these days instead of brass eyeball 50W ELV downlights :LOL:

OP you put in as many downlights as you want. There are NO building regulations preventing you from doing it. A properly installed downlighter installation does a brilliant job of evenly lighting a room.

If you use a 5W LED in each fitting it keeps the eco warriors happy too.

I normally install "loxa" branded 5W dimmerable warm white GU10 LED lamps. We've used them on loads of different dimmers, and never had any compatibility issues. Think the first ones we did were about 4 / 5 years ago, and they're still working quite happily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back