How many sockets should a room have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a decorator look at my house today and he reckoned that I wanted at least 4 double sockets in each room. Some only have two.

It got me thinking, which is a rare thing, and I was wondering what anybody/everybody else thought about this?

I'm just about to get the place decorated so thought I might sort this socket thing out before I get the painting done.

Sponsored Links
I have 7 13 amp doubles (and 2 singles) in my bedroom

However all but 1d and 1s have ended up behind furniture -- which will change as furniture is moved around -- hence the usefulness of having far more than you will actually need.

7 doubles in the study are all accessible and pretty much all used for tech stuff.

I had a decorator look at my house today and he reckoned that I wanted at least 4 double sockets in each room. Some only have two.
Time to get a plumber to look at the shrubbery, and an electrician to check out the wallpaper.

It got me thinking, which is a rare thing, and I was wondering what anybody/everybody else thought about this?

I'm just about to get the place decorated so thought I might sort this socket thing out before I get the painting done.
How long have you lived there? Have you found yourself wishing you had more sockets?

Sponsored Links
If you're even thinking about having more, do it now before the decoration is done. Otherwise you'll look at all that new paintwork and regret you didn't add more sockets. Human nature

pj

When you say you didn't think about about it until the decorator mentioned it, that suggests that you are not having a problem finding enough sockets to plug your appliances in and so can leave things as they are. Having said that, if you are thinking of selling in the near future, I have known prospective buyers ask about the number of sockets. Whether it would be a deal breaker or not I'm not sure.

The number of sockets installed has changed over time. In the 60's one single socket in each room was seen to be sufficient, with two in the kitchen.

In the 80's a single in the corner of each reception room became the norm, with an extra double in the lounge for a TV & video. Two singles in bedrooms in diagonally opposite corners and two doubles in the kitchen. In posh houses, they even started to put one in the hall and on the landing.

in 00's with the rise in the use of home electronic equipment the number has continued to rise. A report from the NHBC a few years ago said that a new build 3 bedroom house should have at least 38 sockets.

Of course with increasing technology, soon sockets will be wireless and you will be able to pick them up from Tesco for £4.99 and stick them on the wall with self adhesive pads. Then all of the homeowners that installed lots of wired sockets will have to fill in the holes where the old sockets used to be when they redecorate ;)

38 sounds excessive. (Well ok if you mean 19 doubles)

You still need a power source for wireless sockets

four double sockets in an average-sized room is probably where I'd aim; it's not just about where you need the power right now, but where you'll want it when the missus decides to move everything around.

As already said; if you're decorating, it's the right time. When we move, I'd ideally like around 8-10 where the TV will be.

Time to get a plumber to look at the shrubbery, and an electrician to check out the wallpaper.

How long have you lived there? Have you found yourself wishing you had more sockets?

I have just bought the place, haven't moved in, am going to get a new boiler and get the place repainted.

Its difficult to imagine how many sockets might be needed in each room, I'm currently living in a large studio flat, where you do most of your living in one room, and there's quite a lot of sockets scattered around.

I was just wondering what people, who might be living in a conventional 2 up 2 down, would recommend, based on their experience.

When you say you didn't think about about it until the decorator mentioned it, that suggests that you are not having a problem finding enough sockets to plug your appliances in and so can leave things as they are. Having said that, if you are thinking of selling in the near future, I have known prospective buyers ask about the number of sockets. Whether it would be a deal breaker or not I'm not sure.

The number of sockets installed has changed over time. In the 60's one single socket in each room was seen to be sufficient, with two in the kitchen.

In the 80's a single in the corner of each reception room became the norm, with an extra double in the lounge for a TV & video. Two singles in bedrooms in diagonally opposite corners and two doubles in the kitchen. In posh houses, they even started to put one in the hall and on the landing.

in 00's with the rise in the use of home electronic equipment the number has continued to rise. A report from the NHBC a few years ago said that a new build 3 bedroom house should have at least 38 sockets.

Of course with increasing technology, soon sockets will be wireless and you will be able to pick them up from Tesco for £4.99 and stick them on the wall with self adhesive pads. Then all of the homeowners that installed lots of wired sockets will have to fill in the holes where the old sockets used to be when they redecorate ;)

I've just bought the place, but I haven't moved in yet, I'm getting to grips with what needs/might be usefully done before we move in.

four double sockets in an average-sized room is probably where I'd aim; it's not just about where you need the power right now, but where you'll want it when the missus decides to move everything around.

As already said; if you're decorating, it's the right time. When we move, I'd ideally like around 8-10 where the TV will be.

Thanks, that's really useful advice. Do you happen to know how long it takes to do this kind of work, e.g. putting in 21 double sockets, 3 doubles in each of 7 rooms?

How much it might cost? and...

Does the electrician doing it have to have a special qualification?

I am sure the on-site-guide actually stated how many for each room. When I took my C&G 2382 the OSG had not been published so I never got the new one.
It still does (at least, in my 'red' one). There's a whole section (8.7) in Appendix 8 giving guidelines, summarised in detail in Table 8B. They suggest, for example (minimum figures, ranges indicate 'smaller' to 'larger' rooms) 4-8 doubles in main living room, 3-5 double in dining room, double bedroom or utility room, 6-10 doubles in kitchens etc.

Kind Regards,

Anywhere you have an extension lead put sockets there instead. I don't reckon you can ever have too many. I put 4 doubles just behind to tv corner! Then I have 5 others around the living room behind furniture, curtains (floor hanging). Plus when It comes to Christmas you might want extras for decorations etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back