posting video files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me the maximum permissable mb upload to u tube?.. or the maximum allowable size of video file that can be sent in a standard e mail My video is 52.4mb and my computer says 'NO' I think there may be some check boxes in my system preferences that may need to be checked/unchecked? any advice welcome... its doing my head in :confused:

Sponsored Links
Email attachments are converted to ASCII text in MIME format - which makes the file LARGER, regardless of any compression.

The max file size depends on what your ISP permits and the recipient's available space. Right now mine is 10MB so I wouldn't thank you for filling it! Also bear in mind that some of us use WiFi dongles with a monthly data cap of as little as 3 GB.

Anyone with a brain cell will upload the file to "Dropbox" or similar then simply email the link to it.

Youtube maximum file size is 128 GB. Your 52MB video is microscopic in comparison.

However you can't send a 52MB file by email - and there is absolutely no reason to do so either.
Email is a communication tool, not a file transfer service.

Sponsored Links
Years ago before using telephone lines for email I used a system called packet radio. This had a system called 7Plus which would split the file up for sending and then you recombined the other end.

I am sure there are similar programs for modern systems. At that time my board rate was 1200 so very slow so that program would have been used to send low res pictures similar to slow scan TV (FAX) so that program would not be good enough today.

However you can't send a 52MB file by email
It's down to the operators of the individual mailservers. Theres nothing technical in the protocol that prevents an email of that size but the chances are most mailservers will reject it.

Sending large emails to people without being explicitly asked to is also generally considered extremely rude.

As eric says there exist tools that can be used to split up files but again if you do it without being explicitly asked to by the recipiant don't expect a friendly response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back