Shower screen.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks

Had a electric shower installed recently. A few minor problems with grouting and sealant that the workman will be back to rectify in a day or two. But I think there's a more troubling problem...
The shower screen - which they installed in the obvious position - spans a small area of horizontal tiling before it runs along the edge of the bath. But these two surfaces are not level! so the strip of seal at the bottom of the screen is useless.
The workman noticed this and apologised for not anticipating it and is returning in a day or so with a new strip of seal which will be 'deep' enough to fill the larger gap as well as the smaller gap caused by the two levels. But surely at the point of the 'step' between the two levels there can never be a good seal!? Do you get what I mean?
I'll include some pics which probably illustrate what I mean better than my description.
What shall I do!?

Sponsored Links
Sorry but as you suspect it will never work properly.
Builder needs to either drop the high tiles the proper way or (a bit of a bodge but at last resort) silicone a strip of tile/upvc to the bath to even the height.
The only other option is to raise the bath.

Thanks for getting back to me footprints!
Yeah, I was thinking about the possibility of those tiles getting lowered - but that would mean the tiles would then be level with the edge of the bath and not overlapping, and I always thought it was better for them to overlap the bath edge a little?

I know what you mean, but if it was me I would have installed the bath against the wall with an infill at the other end.

Sponsored Links
Yeah. But alas I didn't install the bath, that's jus the way it was and unfortunately I don't have the funds to change that. Even though that may be a false economy in the long run!
Well, the workman's coming back on Saturday - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and see what remedy he offers. I may think further on that idea of laying tile or upvc along the bath edge to bring it to the level of the inconvenient tilage!

I think what I would probably do to retrieve the situation is rather than have two seals at different heights, I would probably use the bigger one and attempt to cut part of it down with a blade so that it sits on the tiles without distorting.

Sorry, thought they had installed the bath as well. So fair enough :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back