two/three storey extension and 45 degree rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A neighbour has proposed building a full width extension two/three storey's high with a room in the extended roof.

My local planners say we can object through design consideration and how the sheer mass overshadows us.

In their guidelines an example is quoted whereby if a line is drawn from the centre of your nearest window to the uppermost part of their extension and if that line cuts through their building the extension should be refused.

In our case this is marginal.

The example assumed that your windows are in line with the main wall, whereas in our case and another affected resident our nearest windows are bay windows. Can we count our side windows as a separate window as these account for over 20% of our overall glazed area. Also the top panes that are frosted glass are under the lip of the bay above that is nearly 300mm deep.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Since placing the original post, I have seen the other recent posts on the 45 degree rule and now realise that we may have a case for "Right for Light".

The question in my original post is as previously noted:

The example assumed that your windows are in line with the main wall, whereas in our case and another affected resident our nearest windows are bay windows.

Can we count our side windows as a separate window as these account for over 20% of our overall glazed area?

Many thanks

You will find that the Right to Light guidlines vary considerably from LA to LA so ideally you need to find out what guidlines your LA use in their decision process.

Sponsored Links
Can we count our side windows as a separate window as these account for over 20% of our overall glazed area?

Would you get any less daylight if you did not have a bay and instead the plane of the glazing was in line with the main wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back