Get your candles ready!

dont get me going i object to the poor like me ;)
subsidising the ritch throught green levies on my fuel bills

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Never mind......when we are luxuriating in the dark and cold, we can take comfort from the knowledge that we will soon be able to travel from Manchester to Leeds on half an hour - saving ourselves 20 minutes or so.
Let's get our priorities right here!
John :)

Just to add.

I was with a government chief scientific advisor the other week and as he likes to get involved when trades come to his house so assisted whilst I did a repair.
I thought it was going to be a mare with him looking over but he was fantastic. I said at one point "I need to heat this pipe up to soften it"
"Stay there" he replied " I have a heat gun, in fact I have three!" Off he went and came back with a Makita HG. "Gotta have the right tools " he smiled

Whilst he may be a 'professor Sir' living in a rather nice house, he was a genuinely decent chap and we chewed the cud as we went.

Energy (as that is his area of expertise) came up and he suggested that I should consider a genny if we get a very cold winter. Apparently during the old CEGB days if demand approached 25% of max capability they would start to get twitchy.

Currently (pun intended) we are at 4%. Now there is a much greater control of demand but he believes we could easily be overtaken if there is a prolonged below zero spell.

He suggested the issue was the last government getting caught out by the do gooders making them believe that green energy could solve UK's energy problems. So they diverted resources from non renewables to the catchy renewables and sat there smugly thinking they were saving the planet.

The other issue has been a fear of our gas dependent country being in the hands of that pesky Putin chap who has shown a willingness to turn off supply if he felt it necessary

(hence the push for 'green' heatpumps and a push to phase out domestic gas boilers on new builds.)

It was only a full on meeting with Blair and presenting the facts and figures was there a change in policy to ensure back up old style energy producing .

However by then the phase out of the old stuff started (along with EU directives on coal etc) meant it has been too little too late.

There are several nuclear stations currently not operating which isn't helping and they are not coming back onstream anytime soon. This government is looking hard at load shedding as a way of evening out demand but that alone isn't enough. New nuclear is 20 years away so we are in a bit of a short term pickle.

Of course blackouts could never happen here as we are a 1st world country so as you were.(although we said that in 1970's until it went dark....)

I've never understood why we haven't made more of hydroelectricity in this country, it's not like we're short of rivers, is it?

Morecambe Bay and the Severn have staggeringly huge potential, but it would annoy vociferous boat-owners and alter the ecology for waterfowl, which is much more important than clean, cheap and reliable energy.

Isn't it?

The trouble is that we Brits are notoriously slow to react, even when the writing is on the wall. I have a horrible feeling that power cuts will happen - if not this year, then in the not too distant future.

We should be expanding our nuclear power generation and re-opening coal-fired power stations NOW. I don't give a toss what the EU bureaucrats order us to do, and the sooner we are free again the better.

Of course the muesli-eating greenies are equally to blame. We should send them all to Wales, along with all their windmills, cut them off from the national grid and watch them return to the stone age.

Just to add.

Of course blackouts could never happen here as we are a 1st world country so as you were.(although we said that in 1970's until it went dark....)

The blackouts during the 70's were due to industrial action but takes nothing away from the concerns you've aired about our current plight.

Sponsored Links
Back