Differing toilet pipe sizes

The Victorian - straightened the kink and definitely better than it was (since I took it all out and put it back in it had been worse so that must have been my dodgy spanner work!) So it is better but the valve bit definitely needs replacing still so any advice around the correct sizes needed or new flexi pipe would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Pipe

The 'sizes' in BSP are based on the bore of the pipe if you were to use steel or iron pipe. You then thread the outside of the pipe to a Whitworth thread as per the table.

It's the pipe size we refer to when talking 1/2" 3/8" etc, but the thread of what would be the outside of the pipe which we actually see!

So you have a 3/8" fill valve by the looks of things, as previously specified.

Sponsored Links
If the 1/2" valve will fit through the hole in the cistern then use that with a new flexible hose for 15mm-1/2". Hoses are very cheap. Else use the existing hose and exchange the valve you bought.

The difference between 1/2" and 3/8" won't be much for the few inches of reduced bore you have. Just assemble something that screws together and isn't kinked.

OK think I'll try the flexi pipe route, but.... Any experienced tips for getting it undone??!! It's screwed TIGHT to the mains end, can't seem to shift it. Was thinking WD40 sprayed on and let it soak in?!

Plus Gas will be better but WD-40 won't hurt.

Personally if you're really struggling to undo it then just cut it off. The new hose will come with a compression fitting and olive to attach it to the 15mm pipe. Do it up hand tight to the olive then 1/2 turn further to squish the olive onto pipe. If you do undo the old one use the olive and nut already there and just do it up to a comfortable tightness.

The other end will have a EPDM washer which will form a fairly reliable water-tight seal to the new valve without doing it up too tight. Hand tight plus 1/3 turn maybe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back