halogen spotlight not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our kitchen has 4 halogen spotlights in the ceiling. The bulbs are the type with 2 small prongs that go into a small round fitting with 2 small holes for the prongs.

These have been very reliable over the past 12 years with only the occasional bulb change. Yesterday one of the four lights went out but the bulb change has not fixed the problem. I understand there must be some kind of transformer in the ceiling that has probably blown.

Question is, can this transformer be easily replaced or even accessed without taking the floor upstairs apart. If it can is this a simple DIY job and if so is this the way to go or are there better solutions but still using the same hole in the ceiling.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It would be impossible to inform you if the transformer/transformers is/are accessible, only really the installer could help you with that. But generally if there is no access from above, the transformers should be accessible through the fitting of the lamp. On occasions this is only possible with complete removal of the fitting from the ceiling. It maybe you need to replace one or possibly two transformers. But don't rule out lampholder failure or a loose connection.

It would be impossible to inform you if the transformer/transformers is/are accessible, only really the installer could help you with that. But generally if there is no access from above, the transformers should be accessible through the fitting of the lamp. On occasions this is only possible with complete removal of the fitting from the ceiling. It maybe you need to replace one or possibly two transformers. But don't rule out lampholder failure or a loose connection.

Transformers rarely fail so I doubt you have any. You almost certainly have switch mode power supplies which do fail. Access is the same method however.

Irrelevant stuff.

All your doing is confusing the OP

If he goes in a shop and asks for an smps he will look a fool

If he googles smps he wont find what he wants or any info to help him

Op take a look at

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...sformers/index.html?source=msn&kw=16202348675
They are likely to be similar to what you have

theres various sizes you proberly want a 50W as you say one bulb failed
also if you have a dimmer then you may need a special version

As said above though it may be a connection or sometimes the lampholder fails

Sponsored Links
The bulbs are the type with 2 small prongs that go into a small round fitting with 2 small holes for the prongs.

These have been very reliable over the past 12 years with only the occasional bulb change.

Good, when properly designed and installed they were at the time the best choice in my opinion

Far superior to the short life of GU10 halogens that tried to kill them off.

Thank you for your help.

I have managed to get the transformer through the hole where the bulb holder and bulb fit.

It has 2 brown and 2 red wires going into it - we have 2 switches in the kitchen that control the lights.

The transformer says it is dimable and although it is hard to read it says
11.4v ac - 240 v and underneath it says 2- - 50 va (I think).

It has a brand of IBL lighting.

I would be grateful for a suggestion about a good reliable replacement please - not cheapest but reliable.

Thanks

Thank you for your help.

I have managed to get the transformer through the hole where the bulb holder and bulb fit.

It has 2 brown and 2 red wires going into it - we have 2 switches in the kitchen that control the lights.

The transformer says it is dimable and although it is hard to read it says
11.4v ac - 240 v and underneath it says 2- - 50 va (I think).

It has a brand of IBL lighting.

I would be grateful for a suggestion about a good reliable replacement please - not cheapest but reliable.

Thanks

As I said that is not a transformer but a switch mode power supply. A good reliable replacement would be a transformer. i.e. A proper wound device not something incorrectly called an "electronic transformer".

Before I order the replacement transformer, I was wondering if a conversion to the GU10 LED lights would make sense.

Would the installation be easy - would I just take the mains cables that run to the transformer out and connect to the LED driver. Is it that easy?

Thanks

GU10 lamps will not fit in the GU5.3 lampholders in the lights - you'd have to change those too.

And apart from through some irresponsible idiots on eBay, I don't think you can get ELV GU10 LED lamps, so you wouldn't need a driver.

The easiest conversion would probably be to buy drivers and matching GU5.3 MR16 LED lamps.

GU10 LEDs run at 240v so just replace the lamp units and run direct to them. No drivers required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back